I made the trek to my wood supplier that gives us free scrap wood for our Toy Making outreach at the Mason Dixon Woodworkers. These toys are given to underprivledged children at Christmas time. We usually make about 1300 or so toys each year. This is my catch from the past week. Approx 200 BD ft of Honduras Mahogany. A lot of it is 10/4 square and 30 to 35” long. I can get all of the wood that is less than 36” long. I’m also going through his cuttoff bin and taking all Sa...
I found wood.. close buy… ok now what?I bought 8 board feet of ribbon sapele to build a bench for my wife. While we were shopping that day we like to go to second hand shops. We stopped at an antique shop and i started digging around and found a 6 by 1 foot board in the back of the store. It was black walnut and very figured. I asked the old guy what he wanted for it. He scratched his head and said “20 bucks”. I said “sold”. So I got home and started to try t...
Ever hear the expression, “you are what you eat?” Well, the day I decided to do this, I must have eaten a whole box of ding dongs. For some strange reason, I decided to figure out what I wanted to do with the back, before I started with the front. Why? Well, I don’t know. .....Instead of doing what any sane person would do, I chose to make the back, just like I made the sides… Frame and panel. Seriously… I know it’s going to be up against the wall but, mayb...
After that initial batch, I knew I needed to get more and more sapele. So I ran to Hardel’s and bought a bunch of 4/4 boards and a couple 8/4 boards. Going off the really great plans that I wrote out, I cut things to rough length leaving about 2” long to be safe from any snipe from planing and also to make sure that I wasn’t missing anything and undercutting something. My mentality was that it wasn’t a waste to over cut anything by 2”, it was a waste to undercut ...
The last blog was about joining the sides on the top and now this one is about joining them from the bottom. This part is going to be a little more tricky. This is my first indication that I’m actually building the beginning of what will be a giant puzzle when it comes to glue up time......If you’ve read the blogs before this one, you’ll remember that I made a triple mortise and a double mortise on each of the legs. If you don’t remember or didn’t see the blog, t...
Nothing like going on vacation and coming back with a truckload of free wood! Well, almost free. Before you all ask, I’ll just say I can’t give up my secret source because it’s the gift that keeps on giving, haha. I have a ton of projects in store and as a result, I did end up purchasing some FAS 4/4 Qtr. Sapele to match some of the wood that I got. I wish I could have kept it at the 14 foot lengths, but the logistics of transferring those on a 6 foot bed, 1000 miles didn...
Today I needed to join the bench legs together. I do not own a biscuit joiner and needed a method of centering my bench legs. So I went to a big box store and bought the only dowel jig they had. It is a General dowel jig. I do no recommend this jig for it has to much play in it.I had to elongate the holes to get the legs to match up. I was not a happy camper. It still managed to work out. I have the dowels so far apart because i intend to place a bowtie in the middle, so I did not want to hav...
I decided to make a guitar rack to hold up my guitar off the floor. It has spent several years on a cheap metal stand on the floor. I got some sapele outs to use for the short parts, but the backbone of the rack will be made with maple. So far I made the bottom supports (with the general guideline/plan to the left of the supports) I plan to dovetail the supports onto a plank across the back. This first one is hand done with a hand saw and chisels (I’ve used a handsaw and ro...
I’ve been recently commissioned to build a set of matching, shaker-style tables for a client.One is a 60” x 18” wide hall table, the other is a 20×32 side table.My client is a fan of the color purple, so I wanted to provide them with something that is both addressing this need, but also aesthetically pleasing. My solution is to build the tops from the purple heart pictured here and then use some ribbon figured sapele for the base (legs and rails). The two should be a ni...
This past weekend I did a pretty massive and ridiculously stressful glue up. It wasn’t as bad as I’m making it sound but with how long I’ve been working on this chest of drawers, I just wanted it to come out square and solid. I’m pleased to announce that I was successful. Because of the magnitude of this glue-up, I didn’t bother taking any pictures. The biggest part was gluing the outer frame with the panels in place, and then while all of that was safely clamped...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1197 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1219 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries