for more pics check out my blog here! My client, Jeffrey, and I imagined, designed and built the first point of purchase (pop) product display unit for tünr last summer. Tünr was the imagination of my brother Jeffrey coming to life as he dreamed, planned, proposed, organized and made crucial decisions. He had this idea; “Fine Tune Your Feet”. This is what he called tünr the sock and lace company that is now launched on the Internet and in street boutiques across the country. He approach...
My mom approached me about doing something for my father for Father’s day. Only requirements were that it was to be something for their boat, and that it have the boat’s name on it. Other than that, I had complete creative freedom. I came up with the serving tray idea since they frequently prepare food down in the galley and have to bring it to the back deck for eating, and they currently just use some plastic serving tray. For the design, I decided that a prominent Compass ...
Howdy, I thought I’d be a little more detailed about my Southwest tables with this blog. Lessons learned, Lessons still learning. Yep. You might find it handy. What I don’t have is a thickness planner, a workbench or a joiner. Great fun huh? Here is the first one in progress. Still haven’t added shellac up to this point. For starters, I built up a good sturdy substrate. I used 1, 2 foot by 4 foot piece of birch 1/2 inch plywood from Home Depot. I think it came ...
Woke up and ate some more ding dongs this morning. Since I’m figuring this out as I go, I thought I’d work on the inside of this chest of drawers. I decided to copy the image of the drawer dividers that you see looking at the front of the dresser, and transpose it onto the inside back of it and make the drawer runners mortise and tenon.. I don’t know why, but here is the beginning of the process. Time to bust out the poplar….........The inside drawer dividers are also...
This one was an exercise in lamination. 6 primary species of wood – western maple, red oak, sapele, cherry, birch and walnut. Two pieces of each species, each piece at a different thickness, and some random veneer thrown in between each primary wood piece, for a total of 23 layers. The sole is white oak. Glue is urea formaldehyde, so I could glue it up in one go. Didn’t think I could get it done with PVA. The bed is 45 degrees, and was my first double iron plane. I someho...
For this, my first effort, (that suggests there’ll be at least a second!) I’m using some pieces of sapele that have been lying around for some time. Bending iron by Heath Robinson or Rube Goldberg! To Part Three
I cut all of the parts for the bases over the last couple of weeks, mortise and tenoned all of the rails and legs and rails, and assembled the bases. Each table used a custom jig for cutting the tapers on the table saw. My hope is to use these again for another commissioned project. They handle 26 1/4” and 28 1/4” legs. Each taper starts 1” below the edge of the rails, ending to a 7/8” taper at the ends. The sapele really planes well with a sharp low-angle blade....
A couple of years ago my wife met a lady who lived 10 miles from us and she said her husband owned a door and window plant, and that I should go at pay him a visit. I had never done it. Since i started to assist in making the toys for Christmas from the Mason – Dixon Woodworking Club, I thought that I’d check and see if they had any scraps that we could use for toy making. I went there today. They make wooden doors and windows for Million Dollar homes and they ship all ov...
My youngest daughter was very much into horses when she was at home. We had 14 Acres in New Jersey and probably had horses for around 15 years or so. After High School was over the horses disappeared and the horse barn became a lumber storeroom. She got married and about 6 month ago her in-laws gave her some riding lessons as a birthday gift. The horse fever caught on again. This time she has a young daughter. For some reason girls and horses seem to go together. Missy sometimes takes S...
Ok…I was thinking of doing some stringing or inlays on this but after talking with my wife about where we wanted to put this, I let that idea go. I wanted to keep it a bit less formal. This series of photos are after the glue up and with one coat of Karson’s Oil/Poly blend recipe. It is still just a bit on the damp side. The top is not attached at this point. I will probably give it one more coat of the oil/poly blend then give it 3 or 4 coats of shellac and rub it out. I want ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1452 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1476 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 235 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries