Howdy, Not much time for woodshop lately but I have been able to put a little time in here and there. Today was about 4 hours. Here is where I’m at. I did some hand planning to get it in earshot range. I used a stiff metal yardstick like a scree to reveal high spots. Len – listen up please. I grabbed a card scraper and took down some of the ridges left by the planning. I know I need to keep working on the scraper edge. I ended up using the ROS after my hands got tired...
Howdy, I thought I’d be a little more detailed about my Southwest tables with this blog. Lessons learned, Lessons still learning. Yep. You might find it handy. What I don’t have is a thickness planner, a workbench or a joiner. Great fun huh? Here is the first one in progress. Still haven’t added shellac up to this point. For starters, I built up a good sturdy substrate. I used 1, 2 foot by 4 foot piece of birch 1/2 inch plywood from Home Depot. I think it came ...
This past weekend I did a pretty massive and ridiculously stressful glue up. It wasn’t as bad as I’m making it sound but with how long I’ve been working on this chest of drawers, I just wanted it to come out square and solid. I’m pleased to announce that I was successful. Because of the magnitude of this glue-up, I didn’t bother taking any pictures. The biggest part was gluing the outer frame with the panels in place, and then while all of that was safely clamped...
Well, here it is almost 10 months since I’ve done any work on this project. It’s mostly because I was taking a night class in preparation for the Nursing program this fall, and on top of it, my Uncle has introduced me to fly fishing which has occupied almost all of my free time in the spring and summer so far. ...Since these panels are solid wood, to account for movement, I finished the panels before gluing the case up so that none of the panels will have unfinished edges during t...
How did I not notice this scratch until after sanding to 400 grit? >:(I guess this was an errant particle from the sandpaper or something. Right on the end-grain too.
Woke up and ate some more ding dongs this morning. Since I’m figuring this out as I go, I thought I’d work on the inside of this chest of drawers. I decided to copy the image of the drawer dividers that you see looking at the front of the dresser, and transpose it onto the inside back of it and make the drawer runners mortise and tenon.. I don’t know why, but here is the beginning of the process. Time to bust out the poplar….........The inside drawer dividers are also...
I couldn’t stop at just making big drawers. I had to get all fancy and divide the top drawers into smaller drawers. I don’t really have as much to say about these pictures but I hope you guys enjoy them.....This first picture is really blurry but the rest are okay........Lengthwise, they are divided into thirds.........Same steps as before… Plow the dovetail groove with a router by hand, then make the sliding dovetail part on the table, just like the last blog...........Ta d...
Now for the drawer dividers. One thing I wish I did different for this was to do stopped sliding dovetails rather than through sliding dovetails. It probably would have been better to do it that way when it comes to glue up time and probably with wood movement too. .....I just used my P/C 4212 dovetail jig for my sliding dovetail guide. I know people make better jigs but, I had this and jimmy rigged it to work. Test cuts are the key for sure......I did each leg individually with sacrificial p...
Ever hear the expression, “you are what you eat?” Well, the day I decided to do this, I must have eaten a whole box of ding dongs. For some strange reason, I decided to figure out what I wanted to do with the back, before I started with the front. Why? Well, I don’t know. .....Instead of doing what any sane person would do, I chose to make the back, just like I made the sides… Frame and panel. Seriously… I know it’s going to be up against the wall but, mayb...
The last blog was about joining the sides on the top and now this one is about joining them from the bottom. This part is going to be a little more tricky. This is my first indication that I’m actually building the beginning of what will be a giant puzzle when it comes to glue up time......If you’ve read the blogs before this one, you’ll remember that I made a triple mortise and a double mortise on each of the legs. If you don’t remember or didn’t see the blog, t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1542 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1567 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries