Well, here it is almost 10 months since I’ve done any work on this project. It’s mostly because I was taking a night class in preparation for the Nursing program this fall, and on top of it, my Uncle has introduced me to fly fishing which has occupied almost all of my free time in the spring and summer so far. ...Since these panels are solid wood, to account for movement, I finished the panels before gluing the case up so that none of the panels will have unfinished edges during t...
How did I not notice this scratch until after sanding to 400 grit? >:(I guess this was an errant particle from the sandpaper or something. Right on the end-grain too.
Woke up and ate some more ding dongs this morning. Since I’m figuring this out as I go, I thought I’d work on the inside of this chest of drawers. I decided to copy the image of the drawer dividers that you see looking at the front of the dresser, and transpose it onto the inside back of it and make the drawer runners mortise and tenon.. I don’t know why, but here is the beginning of the process. Time to bust out the poplar….........The inside drawer dividers are also...
I couldn’t stop at just making big drawers. I had to get all fancy and divide the top drawers into smaller drawers. I don’t really have as much to say about these pictures but I hope you guys enjoy them.....This first picture is really blurry but the rest are okay........Lengthwise, they are divided into thirds.........Same steps as before… Plow the dovetail groove with a router by hand, then make the sliding dovetail part on the table, just like the last blog...........Ta d...
Now for the drawer dividers. One thing I wish I did different for this was to do stopped sliding dovetails rather than through sliding dovetails. It probably would have been better to do it that way when it comes to glue up time and probably with wood movement too. .....I just used my P/C 4212 dovetail jig for my sliding dovetail guide. I know people make better jigs but, I had this and jimmy rigged it to work. Test cuts are the key for sure......I did each leg individually with sacrificial p...
Ever hear the expression, “you are what you eat?” Well, the day I decided to do this, I must have eaten a whole box of ding dongs. For some strange reason, I decided to figure out what I wanted to do with the back, before I started with the front. Why? Well, I don’t know. .....Instead of doing what any sane person would do, I chose to make the back, just like I made the sides… Frame and panel. Seriously… I know it’s going to be up against the wall but, mayb...
The last blog was about joining the sides on the top and now this one is about joining them from the bottom. This part is going to be a little more tricky. This is my first indication that I’m actually building the beginning of what will be a giant puzzle when it comes to glue up time......If you’ve read the blogs before this one, you’ll remember that I made a triple mortise and a double mortise on each of the legs. If you don’t remember or didn’t see the blog, t...
I don’t know if it’s a mistake or not to do it this way but, I decided to join the sides together just like I did on the sides themselves. I’m not sure this will create any kind of ultimate weakness or not but, there was enough stock in the legs to do dovetails for both of the rails.....Here’s the first cut. Tail first….......These look pretty good to me........Now to chop out some the housing for the dovetail….......chop chop chop…........Very snug f...
My Dad came and visited me back in June and he helped me get started on this. I bought the porter cable router 7518 and a nice big raised panel bit to go with it. I thought I would start by building the panel first and then the frame around it. The reason I did it this way was because I didn’t want to go and buy more and more wood without using what I had so I took two of my more wider boards, cut them in half lengthwise, and edge jointed them to make two panels. I don’t have any ...
After that initial batch, I knew I needed to get more and more sapele. So I ran to Hardel’s and bought a bunch of 4/4 boards and a couple 8/4 boards. Going off the really great plans that I wrote out, I cut things to rough length leaving about 2” long to be safe from any snipe from planing and also to make sure that I wasn’t missing anything and undercutting something. My mentality was that it wasn’t a waste to over cut anything by 2”, it was a waste to undercut ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1295 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1317 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries