Apologies for mangling French irretrievably there just to force out a pun…. The doors presented a few logistical challenges. Surprisingly, the internal rebate angles were the least of these. The largest challenge was in the form of how best to clamp the main outer frame whilst gluing. The frame comprises morticed hinge and lock stiles with two tenoned upper/lower rails. (the mortice and tenon sizes increased in height which the drawing does not indicate) Prior to any shapin...
Hello all,Just added a new video to my YouTube channel. In this two part video series we build a Mid Century Modern Hall Table with Hairpin Legs. The build is coming along great. Take some time and check it out. when you check out the video don’t forget to subscribe to my channel. Here is a link to my channel & video. Thanks in advance for your support. Here is a link to my channel & video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLScGspjapE
This blog entry was inspired by Mark Kornell’s query about my approach to waxing. I’m no expert on wax finishing and would never represent myself as such. I enjoy the learning and improvement process, and that is where I take the most reward from working with wood. Wax is a simple and easy to maintain finish which seems to live and age gracefully with the workpiece rather than trapping it in time. Furniture and guitars (my other problem) live with us as companions, picking up expe...
Not a huge amount to add today I’m afraid. The main carcase of the cabinet has had its medium sanding completed (up to 240 grit) and the first guide layer of wax added. I’m genuinely not sure whether this is a valid or efficient method of using wax (it certainly uses up a lot of it) however it produces far superior results than those from the instructions or other methods I’ve picked up. My waxing procedure is to start early. Once all the glueup and sanding that alters fo...
http://www.wackywoodworks.co.nz/blastgate.php While this a full PVC blast gate it can be made in the average woodworkers woodshop with ease. But because of this I have simply made a blog post and not a project post etc In the video I am making a PVC blast gate for my home dust extractor system. You can treat PVC like wood, and can cut it on the Table saw, mitre saw, band saw, use the sanding wheels etc. On the thicker pipe we use jigsaws However on the table saw and mitre saw cut slowly...
Since the arm shape is complete and the side assemblies are laid out, I decided to start work on the tenons on the top of each leg that will protrude slightly from the top of the armrests. This was not in the plans that I had purchased, but really like that look and why not add more complexity to an already drawn out project! If I am going to take this much time to build the chair, might as well make it detailed. I completed one on a leg that will be in the back to practice my technique. I...
Small workbench based on shipbuilt's Short Block V8 (Workbench Challange) #3: Leg stretchers, assembly bolts and bottom shelf.
This part was very straight forward, The stretchers were assembled from 3 strips of 3/4” BB glued together with Biscuits to help keep everything aligned. The center strip is 1/2” longer to make a tendon. Next I made a router template to make the mortises in the legs. At that point it was just a matter of laying them out and cutting them. While I had the legs out I needed to make clearance slots for the 2 dog holes on each side of the left side leg. ...
Semi-interactive video. You can chose between my entry for the Challenge Tree and the one my twin-brother made. The Challenge Tree is an initiative of Dominic Bender at “Dominic Woodworks!”: http://www.dominicswoodworks.com/en/ After a few minutes you can click on “channel 1” for Gerrit’s “Woodworker’s meditation altar” or on “channel 2” for his twin-brother’s “Mallet for, and made on a pole lathe”.
Well, the tops have taken longer than I anticipated. But it has turned out nice. The original Short Block V8 designed with a Torsten box top but I wanted a solid top. After lots of consideration I decided that I wanted the top to be Baltic Birch laminated on edge for the top. This would be consistent with the leg construction and would make for a very solid top. However this presented an issue as Baltic Birch is not cheap (best price here in Oregon, USA is $55.00 for a 5×5’ sheet...
Final finishing up of the woodworking part of this project! I attach the hutch to the subframe, and then that assembly to the top. I also make the interior back and the back of the hutch. As always, I welcome your questions and comments! http://youtu.be/0wOl6AJZw9w
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1730 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1755 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 238 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries