Busy day….busy,busy,...busy…had a bunch of clamps lined up, Elmer’s was awaiting to go. had a small “acid” brush to spread the stuff around, and a BIG hammer to assist. One would think that the glue would let the parts slide together better…..nope. After banging things into place, and making even a Squid blush….Finally got it glued up. I did check for square….just wasn’t any room to add THAT diagonal clamp… Now, about tha...
In the last episode of this build, I start by applying a dye to help keep the walnut looking dark over the years. I also have to do some special prep work so I don’t dye the maple inlay around the top. When that is ready, I then put on the final finish which is a wiping poly. I move the table into my dining room, and then perform the final assembly. Done! As always, I welcome your questions and comments! To keep up with what I’ve got going on in the shop, follow me on Instag...
And that is about it. wasted half a day with a Migraine…..kind of hard to work with half the body going numb. About evening or so….dug out some toys…saws? Front one is a rip, back one is crosscut. I even put a NEW blade in the old Atkins No. 50 coping saw! other tools? Well there is a Ohio Tool Co. hand plane there, a chisel or two, a mallet. Somewhere back there is a square or two, and a Stanley No.90 shoulder plane. Still trying to get that one tuned up just...
While making some bottle openers, I needed a way to get into a small area and sand, so I cut a piece of thick dowel, cut a neck into it to help me get past an installed and glued-on washer, glued on a piece of sandpaper with contact cement, trimmed it and sanded away. It was a simple fix to an odd problem, but I’m not positive everyone would have considered such a low tech approach.
Recently i found a need to sand some small parts of a project with my Random Orbit Sander. They were too small to clamp down and my sander would just throw them out from under it. I just clamped the ROS upside down in my leg vise and held the small piece on the rotating pad. This doesn’t work as aggressively as usual because your hand cannot hold the piece as firmly as it would be if it were clamped or had more mass.
It is with a doubt one of greatest satisfaction of wood working the finished project. For me that is the best part. Okay actually the best part is the process to get to that point. I enjoy the sanding of the wood, whether I am sanding that piece by hand or a palm sander, taking that piece to smooth as possibly can be done, then applying the stain whether i am brushing it on or wiping, though i prefer the wipe on method. Then putting on the shellac usually three coats, then adding another coup...
Been playing with another wood toy project.Bought and down loaded the plans for the Bull Dozer from Wood Store Net.I was looking at the High Gear Dozer from Toys and Joys but you have to order the plans which is fine but I wanted to get started now not two weeks from now. Well here’s what I’ve got done so far. Now I’m going to start at the Beginning. LOLI’m building with Walnut I found while scrounging and Mahogany from a bed also found lumber.The plans show a f...
Banquette build....my first furniture attempt #3: My third child is stained and ready for protection
I call this my third child because as I’m nearing the finish line with this we have had two children, my wife quit her job to stay home with the kids, and I’ve gone through a job change (with promotion). With all that has gone on this poor project has had more off time than on, but now I am so close to the finish line I can taste it. Since the last post I got all of the final little cuts and finishes buttoned up. I was still struggling with the stain but finally found...
Today I cut up the main play area surface (MDF). I knew I wanted to prime the base, so figured I’d cut the MDF first and get the fine dust mostly out of the air before priming. I had to use the same layout methods (and again told myself I need a table saw) and spent precious time marking and clamping before making a few cuts, but in the end, got a perfectly cut plank of MDF that will fill almost all the space inside the upper box. On the left and right, I also cut out 4” wide “wings” that ...
I needed a small sanding spindle to sand the small corners of a project I’m working on. My store bought sanding spindle is too big and I didn’t want to go out and buy one, plus even the smallest one in the store is too big. [Above] I found a 4 inch long piece of aluminum rod. It’s a little bigger in diameter than 1/4 inch. I used a hack saw to cut a slot down its lengthy about 1-1/2 inches long. [Above] I cut a piece of sandpaper about 2 inches long to fit ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries