We left off last time and I had a hole in my table with a blank insert, getting me back to a functional dining room table. Step 1: Install some T track. I originally thought I would just make a long fence and clamp it to the edge of the table. It would be a pain in the neck, but I didn’t think it would get heavy use. Instead I saw a lot of videos and commercial fixtures that use T track, and it looked amazing. I would be able to use hold-down clamps, using a fence would be easier. Ba...
When I started out working with wood, it was a chore to find any information. I went to used book stores and bought anything that might help and asked any woodworkers I knew. Then Fine Woodworking came along and now the internet. Lumberjocks is the best help I’ve found. There are always several guys who have gone through the same problem.Now, I’m working on 15 chairs. There have been three difficult parts. The curved back, the back legs, and the chair bottom. I’m curre...
I used to really enjoy sanding. Give me a nice big flat surface, some headphones perhaps a beer or two (or three; I’m Irish) and I could sand uninterrupted for hours. With this project, I have met my match. Those irregular surfaces are just brutal… as was the wood itself. Not only did I meet my match, but so did my sander. The velcro pad is pretty well toast (2nd one) I blew a hole through the dust collection bag and the bearings are starting to go as it sounds like a combi...
"adirondack chair making" #1: my first adirondack chair was made in 1995, now two decades later, I am still at it
when I was a freshman in high school (1995), I won the end of the year award for woodshop when I produced an Adirondack Chair. Now 2014, I am still at it. I only get better and better at them. Now I am giving them some Texas, southwestern, rustic flare with a cut-out the shape of the state. I now make Adirondack chairs on a weekly basis mostly for therapy. But I sell them too. In post(s) to follow I will explain more about Adirondack chair making.
The glue-ups were trimmed a bit to fit the space above the base cabinets. The walls around the cabs don’t meet at right angles though, so the right glue-up had to be cut accordingly. What is left before finishing is sanding with an ROS, grits 100 through 400. I also want to treat the edge with either a 1/8” round over, or a 1/8” bevel bits. Have to try on a scrap piece first to see which works better. Have yet to find one joint connector to bridge the left and r...
Well, I broke down and added a new power tool to the arsenal. I picked up a 4.5” angle grinder from the big orange home store. I’ve been wanting one for a couple of years and had hoped to turn one up at the local thrift shops, but no such luck. With an upcoming instillation of hardwood floors and the need to undercut our existing existing cobble stone hearth I figured it was about time to crack open the wallet. While in the spending mood, I also picked up a 60 grit flap disc...
I did not have time to post progress yesterday, but today I finished the humidor test build. My wife has absconded with it to hold her art supplies in, so it will not be getting a hygrometer. Before Hinges and before gluing the liner in Remaining pics show the completed project Top Bottom
I have sanded one of the halves of the top; the squeeze out cleans up very easily without softening or gumming up the sander. As far as finishing goes, I have been thinking about Watelox Original as suggested in numerous posts on walnut tops here on LJ. Mineral oil/beeswax mixture is not an option for sure. Waterlox is durable and forms moisture-, stain- and heat-resistant film; scratches can be repaired easily by applying locally a new layer of the finish. Walnut is an extremely porous...
The two panels were glued board by board, which made alignment easier, especially for the 37” right side. The overall size is 80” x 27”. After the very last gluing today, I will trim the boards for them to fit the space around the oven range and start hand planing and sanding with an ROS. The glue lines are mostly flush, but not perfectly flush all the way along the length, so some flattening has to be done. The sanding-after-jointing idea kind of worked: if I w...
Starting to look like something now. Still needs a little more sanding and a nice finish before parting the top from the bottom. I had intended to do a fully functional humidor for this test, but I went to Woodcrafters today and found out that Spanish Cedar has skyrocketed, so since this is a test, I will probably make the liner out of some inexpensive wood and just make this a box. The wood is hemlock, and is very cheap, but I chose it because I liked the nice tight straight grain. It ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1406 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries