There are many parts of this project I do not want to discuss, mostly because they all involve mistakes. With this project I unfortunately made many stupid errors regarding dimensions and process of operations, but in ways that are rudimentary to woodworking. I tried to recover and hide these though thinking about the saying that being a good woodworker is not about making no mistakes, its about how well you can fix the mistakes you make. One of these mistakes came from a lack of room in...
So unfortunately I had not taken many pictures during the process of hand planing the curved door as well as cutting the dovetails for the carcass. I wanted the door to be thin, very thin, which ultimately led to many, many problems. I ended up with a final thickness of a bout 1/4 inch. While I was milling the door I did not have the wood move on me much at all, the Avodire I ended up getting was so incredibly stable I could do almost anything to it and it would not warp. The one thing ...
I laid out the wings on 10 1/4” x 4” x 24” pieces of poplar (after replacing the one I’d used earlier by mistake). Here’s a picture of the lower wing outline along with a vertical tail piece outline, showing that they easily fit on one of the work pieces. You can also see the notch that I added to the vertical tail template. I laid out both the top and bottom wings. Since my plan calls for a 3-1/8” width on the wings, I decided to rip the 10 pieces using my table saw rather than cut...
For the horizontal tail pieces, I laid all 5 of them out on a larger 1/4” x 5” by 24” piece of poplar. I did a rough cut using the band saw with the intent of finishing them on my sander. DON’T DO THIS: I cut the 5 vertical pieces the same way, using another 1/4” x 4” by 24” piece, consuming one of the 10 pieces I’d originally purchased. I thought I just needed 10 of the 1/4” x 4” pieces, to get the 2 wings per plane. After I started cutting the vertical tail pieces I guessed that I’...
For a tool cabinet I recently posted here at lumberjocks, 30 Drawer Tool Cabinet to go with Workbench, I made custom drawer pulls. Having had several inquiries about them, I decided to blog my drawer pull process. I tried a few different prototypes trying out size, feel and aesthetics, and settled on the profile shown in the template. During the prototyping I tried several thicknesses of stock. I would have preferred 7/8” over 3/4” but threatening weather forced me to go...
Working on a unique bench design. Customer has requested that a bench be built to accommodate his 4 dachshunds….He has a converted a laundry room into a Mud room. The kennels he has in there now are too large for the dogs, so he wanted something smaller for them. The bench will have a kennel on the bottom of the bench with 2 doors, the openings are set and ready for the doors.He also asked that the bench be tall in order to hide the water lines /drain that are in the wall that were used...
In my last blog, I created the tray bottom. In this blog, I will cut the grooves for the tray bottom, rout finger holds and put the tray together. First step is to cut grooves in the tail section. I use the MCLS 13/64” plywood bit (because 1/4” plywood is smaller than it’s nominal size). As a rule of thumb, I like to cut the groove 2x the groove width (so 1/2” in this case) from the bottom in order to leave enough material for a strong assembly. I mark t...
Sam Maloof inspired rocking chair #2: First try at the Maloof joint **Project on hold pending move**
Not having done this before it was a bit of a challenge to do I hope the joint is tight enough after the glue is in the joints and its clamped up. This is just the dry fit for now.In the two photos below are the left and right front legs. Today my 1/4” down cut spiral bit came so I will be routing the holes for the back slats then next week when my new band saw blade gets here I will cut the seat profile, sand and scoop the seat then comes the front legs.One thing I realized is you ...
I know, weird title, but I am busy celebrating the release of my latest video, “The Making of the Rocker Cradle.” Sure had a lot of fun with this one. As they say, “what I really want to do is direct…” Okay, maybe not. Hope you enjoy the clip. Cheers! video
I posted a blog entry a few days ago about some different sanding aids I use in carving that I thought might be helpful to others. I of ten see products in catalogs and wonder how/if they actually work, so I thought a semi-review of the products I have used might be helpful. Apparently it was useful info for some, so I decide to mention a couple more that I don’t use frequently. But one of these might be especially helpful to Spoontaneous and other spoon carvers. I occasionally carve...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 86 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries