Recently i found a need to sand some small parts of a project with my Random Orbit Sander. They were too small to clamp down and my sander would just throw them out from under it. I just clamped the ROS upside down in my leg vise and held the small piece on the rotating pad. This doesn’t work as aggressively as usual because your hand cannot hold the piece as firmly as it would be if it were clamped or had more mass.
It is with a doubt one of greatest satisfaction of wood working the finished project. For me that is the best part. Okay actually the best part is the process to get to that point. I enjoy the sanding of the wood, whether I am sanding that piece by hand or a palm sander, taking that piece to smooth as possibly can be done, then applying the stain whether i am brushing it on or wiping, though i prefer the wipe on method. Then putting on the shellac usually three coats, then adding another coup...
Been playing with another wood toy project.Bought and down loaded the plans for the Bull Dozer from Wood Store Net.I was looking at the High Gear Dozer from Toys and Joys but you have to order the plans which is fine but I wanted to get started now not two weeks from now. Well here’s what I’ve got done so far. Now I’m going to start at the Beginning. LOLI’m building with Walnut I found while scrounging and Mahogany from a bed also found lumber.The plans show a f...
Banquette build....my first furniture attempt #3: My third child is stained and ready for protection
I call this my third child because as I’m nearing the finish line with this we have had two children, my wife quit her job to stay home with the kids, and I’ve gone through a job change (with promotion). With all that has gone on this poor project has had more off time than on, but now I am so close to the finish line I can taste it. Since the last post I got all of the final little cuts and finishes buttoned up. I was still struggling with the stain but finally found...
Today I cut up the main play area surface (MDF). I knew I wanted to prime the base, so figured I’d cut the MDF first and get the fine dust mostly out of the air before priming. I had to use the same layout methods (and again told myself I need a table saw) and spent precious time marking and clamping before making a few cuts, but in the end, got a perfectly cut plank of MDF that will fill almost all the space inside the upper box. On the left and right, I also cut out 4” wide “wings” that ...
I needed a small sanding spindle to sand the small corners of a project I’m working on. My store bought sanding spindle is too big and I didn’t want to go out and buy one, plus even the smallest one in the store is too big. [Above] I found a 4 inch long piece of aluminum rod. It’s a little bigger in diameter than 1/4 inch. I used a hack saw to cut a slot down its lengthy about 1-1/2 inches long. [Above] I cut a piece of sandpaper about 2 inches long to fit ...
I’m making a new fence for my table saw in the Biesemeyer style to improve the performance of my machine.If you have seen my previous project on how to improve a crappy table saw i already have a shop made fence on it butI’ve never been a hundred percent happy with the fence stop as its not something my fellow woodworker could replicate because it requires a specific part,so my new fence has a home made stop.
In this video, I show how I plan to use sliding dovetails for the mid span dividers, which also will house the sliding parts for the top, and then cut the sliding dovetails and make the dividers. Then I cut the slots in the end rails for the slides and glue up the end assemblies, which I might add was a grueling experience I hope I never put myself through again! I cut out the joinery for the lower rail that will connect the two curved rails and tie the whole thing together. It’s sta...
Well. After letting the glue cure for a couple hours, went down to remove the clamps. Another fight broke out, as the longer clamps wanted to fall onto the floor, taking everything they could with them…..didn’t work. Clamped the case upside down to the bench, was going to level some edges.. Nice, thin shaving…..but, I wasn’t in the mood for things this slow. Got out the cambered Jack planes. Got the bottom almost leveled out, I figured I could install the b...
Well, first I had to go to the store and buy a bottle of Elmers. Dug out a few “acid” brushes to spread it around. Plan WAS to use wedges to help the clamps….not enough hands for it… that is when the cussing started up.. Spread a bunch of glue onto the dovetails, fought the clamps. Several clamps are a bit too long.. Had to use what I had on hand,,,,got a bit crowded, though.. new use for a sander’s handle? Clamp support. Finally managed to get ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1782 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1807 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 235 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries