Not being the most creative and obviously skilled I have taken up a huge project that I am hoping will make things functional and smooth for every project to come. I recently acquired a Dewalt planer DW 733 and a DW 745 for 350.00 in great condition from a close friend. My hope and plan is to do right by him and use them until they die or I die. The goal a large “L” shaped work station that will house a table saw area, compound miter station, planing section, router station and ...
My latest edition of ShopNotes featured a tip sent in by a reader for buffing parts. Notice that he used his 1 1/2” Φ hole saw as a mount for a section of paint roller sleeve. I tried this and it will work, but me being me, I wondered if this would work better if the section of roller were mounted over the 1 1/2” Φ rubber drums of both my Rigid spindle sander and the small drum of my drill mounted drum. Since these drums expand the sleeves would not slip while buffing. ...
Some of you may be wanting to know where I have been since my last project post in June. Well, I have been on a journey of sorts and I am not at the end of it yet. Many of you will remember my experiment with building furniture out of OSB particularly the rocker. It was during this build that I realized that of all the sanders I owned, I didn’t have one sander that was uniquely suited to finishing the various concave radii and transitions of the rocker. I had a set of the smal...
After putting together my cutlist, I called up the lumber yard that I am getting the material from. They emailed me the latest price list for all their products. Seeing that you are charged extra for boards wider than 8”, I decided that going back to the cutlist to reorganize the pieces on 8” wide may benefit me. I had too much room left over on 9” wide pieces anyway, so fitting them onto 8” worked well (below), and I actually had less waste. I didn’t even hav...
This project is what I call “THE PROPOSAL EGG” It’s a simple idea that, until last night I had never heard of anyone else ever making. It’s a SPINDLE TURNING project that involves making a hollowed out “EGG”, that becomes a “lidded box” (eventually the base part will have a small round “ring cushion” once my friend has made some or me, as round ring cushions just don’t seem to be available to buy in the UK) that a ring can be...
Sweet acacia (A. farnesiana) (genus (Acacia)/ subfamily Mimosoideae/ family Fabaceae/ From Right to Left:2 ) Raw Thorns1) Double Thorns hand carved / 4 Thorns hand carved3) Hand carved and sanded As I mention in one of my other Blogs, I like to utilize the whole parts of the tree, the is one of those cases.I cut down 3 saplings, cut off the branches, I very carefully striped the bark with a utility knife.Then carefully cut the thorns off with X-acto knife, with saw blade I decided ...
I complete the three legged stool. In this episode I glue up the seat and eventually the rest of the stool. I shape the legs, install the wedges in the mortise and tenons, sand and finish the stool. Thanks for the support and kind comments! This was a fun project and satisfying to have completed it. Best RegardsChris http://youtu.be/jhUJkumaA18
Fresh video from a new channel. Everything from chainsaws to handplanes, what’s not to love. http://youtu.be/usEh7Q5Uqr4 <iframe src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/usEh7Q5Uqr4” frameborder=”0” height=”315” width=”560”></iframe>
This build is going slow because each piece is complicated and because the steps are a bit different than the usual fair. I also ran into some complications with my mortiser bits. But the first step of the build is now done. I marked the mortises carefully And then cut them on the mortiser. Cleaned up the mortises with a chisel—done with the mortises. I cut the double curves on the front legs (back legs were already done) on the bandsaw. With this build, the instructions ...
After what you saw last time I got busy with the cabinet scrapers. I used three, primarily. The most useful was a very flexible straight one to get into the chair seat and flex around the leg curves. I had to use a french curve scraper on some of the seat curves. And a medium flex straight scraper was pretty handy too. I sharpened them all at the beginning and resharpened the flexible one once. I spent 9 hours scraping. Then I started sanding: 180, 240, 320, 400, 600 grits. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries