The new platen arrived today for behind the belt so I installed it, but I’m still waiting for the pad that goes between it and the belt and it was ordered before the platen. I took the opportunity to replace the bolts that hold the platen in place and are used to adjust it with stainless steel bolts and I also replaced the bolts that attach the belt tensioning assembly with stainless steel button head bolts. All of the bolts had varying degrees of rust on their heads so this was just do...
Tomorrow, at 9;30 AM, my new ‘old’ Hans stroke sander is to arrive. This one has a 120” X 48” table and an 8” belt. The tables adjusts in/out/up/down. I have been lusting for this tool for some thirty years, after having used one briefly in the late ‘70’s. It is just the size to work upon that ‘promised’ dining room table for Son and his wife. I harvested a number of Claro Walnut trees and root-balls a year ago. The 4/4 material i...
Well, I didn’t get a lot of time to be in the workshop today but I did get the disc platen cleaned up and the sanding disc installed. I also cleaned up its cast iron table. It had a slight coat of rust from sitting in the garage and then when I used 409 and hot water to clean it. Got the rust off with TopSaver and then sprayed a coat of Top Cote on it. It’s as smooth as a baby’s bottom. Oh and I decided to replace the platen behind the belt due to it being dished in a bit...
Well I got a little side tracked from working on my dust hood for the chop saw with this now. I picked up this sander in Spring at GM’s Janesville plant’s auction. It’s been sitting in the garage on the floor since then, one, because it was summer, two, because I didn’t have any room for it benchtop wise. So I decided to buy Jet’s closed stand for it and on October 4 I ordered it. Well the cabinet arrived on November 3rd but it was damaged, had a nice dent in it....
Out of the scrap pile and into a gift #1: Convert random scraps into end grain boards (cut first - design later)
OK. This blog stuff is new to me. I’ve got a couple projects going where I am forcing myself to leave the large stock alone and work with material that ends up getting burned after I have too much of it. I have been using CBdesigner from jayman7. He posted a project on this here. I have searched through blog entries and I think I am using this in a little different way. Another big resource for me has been dewoodwork’s blog on how to make an end grain cutting board. Clearly,...
I got a call the other day from my brother-in-law the auctioneer. He ask if I was interested in a couple of sanding tables. Knowing nothing about them I said sure I’ll give you 100.00 a piece for them. So they went through the sale and I got them both. I passed one along to another LJ who lives in my area and we split the expense. They came from a large cabinet company that went out of business. The bad news is that there were several nice tools that went very cheap the week b...
I’m so close! The clamps are holding the oak backer board on … which is holding the mirror in place. The top oak trim cap is just sitting there. The bottom trim cap was a no-show on photo day. It looks suspiciously like the top piece. BUT … I’m almost done! The trim blocks (the four corner pieces that surround the frame) are glued on. I’m going to run the top and bottom edges through my jointer, along with the top and bottom cap pieces … just to ...
This is the first peice of furniture I have designed and built. It is a small table to sit between my parents two recliners. The slide out drawer will contain a small trash can that can be hidden when not in use. It is made of red oak. Trying to match some of the furniture thay have I made the profile around the top using the table saw, a 1/2” round over bit, and a 1/4” round nose bit. It still needs to be sanded down and will be stained pecan. The top is recessed for a piec...
Well here’s some pictures of the shelf completed and installed with the Drum Sander on the new stand, and the reason for all this. I was going to paint the shelf black but then I thought that would make it dark in the storage area. So then I thought white, but then I remember I had some Dutch Boy Metallic Silver so I used that. Matched rather nicely. The shelf painted and installed for the last time. Bottom view (stand upside down) showing how I supported the shelf with one screw ...
This is my first attempt at writing the blog. I’m testing how to present, the resolution of images, etc … I promise complete with photos and text illuminating. This is a Beta version! The construction of my Jig circular aims to make perfect cuts to facilitate the connection between the parts from cutting. The lower clamping system allows for maximum space on top. It will be used with larger radii. The pivot bracket can be rotated beyond the limits of the table, enabling grea...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1373 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1396 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 191 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries