I hope everyone had a Festive Christmas, and I wish everyone a very Happy and Prosperous New Year! I didn’t realise quite how long I had been out of the game, until today. I seem to have spent all my time with Medical Specialists. I have had the operation on my right knee, and that is progressing nicely, at least I am no longer walking with a stick. Unfortunately the second spinal block, did not work on my back, so what happens next, I have no idea, and I am also waiting to see if th...
The keys and resonators are made and have a rough tune. It’s now time to get everything ready and do the final tune.We need to drill mount hole in the keys before we can tune, first we need to locate and install the suspension components. The glockenspiel taught me that location and spacing of the suspension is a critical step. Space the suspension to close and the keys rub against the suspension causing vibration noise and affecting the sound from the keys too far and there isn̵...
Time to start on the resonators. These are the pipes that hang below the keys and give the instrument its signature sound. The keys when struck sound like a musical note but they sound more like a piano than a marimba.I went with as thin wall PVC pipe as I could get locally. I believe for the 2” it was about 140psi and the 1 1/2” about 160psi. The plans give the length to cut as I cut them i wrote the note inside the tube to keep them straight. Once they were all cut glued th...
I have all Christmas presents ready and time to work on the Marimba again.When I left last I had moved the lower keyboard over an 1 1/2 for clearance. After final tune and drilling the keys I didn’t like the gap so I moved everything back an 1 1/4. It looks way better. I applied one coat of lacquer. The old adjustment The final. Keys are closer to the upper frame and just looks better. I need to quit over thinking these things. Time to rough tune the keys. the keys were ...
I am in the process of making my first tongue drum. Got the Poplar box and Red Oak tone board made, needs lot of work still, and a bottom yet. But the 3/4” red oak tone board doesn’t make much sound and three of the 12 keys sound dead. Don’t understand what’s happening? It doesn’t rattle or buzz, just thump, no tone, well, not a pleasant one anyway. Sure could use some insight or help figuring out what’s happened? It’s funny, the two keys along one...
Yep, using soft pine. Not confident enough yet to spend the $ on hardwood. This could just end up being a prototype if I don’t like how it finishes but it wont be used for chopping. Updated Plan Gluing up the legs: Taper Jig ready (haven’t made it adjustable yet) Gluing up the top. Need some shorter pipes for my pipe clamps. 5’ pipe clamps on a 16.5” wide top. “ha!” but I needed their strength.. Top ended up with a slight twi...
So my mom’s been talking about putting a stand for her heavy, kitchen aid mixer at the end of her kitchen counter. I thought i might be able to build something so we collaborated on the design to fit the space. I drew it in Sketchup Some new adventures for me… 1. getting good tight miter corners on the framing of the top.. Outside board will be 5.5” to look like a very thick top.2. 4 side tapered leg. (time to build a tapering jig for my table saw)3. mo...
Made a lot of mistakes on this one, which caused me to learn a bunch of new tricks and fixes. Firstly, I shouldn’t have used crooked wood for the box sides. I knew what would happen. All the corners were bad of course. I cut them out! Then when I was doweling the new corners, they cracked. Just wanted to show my project that I love and hate and maybe hear some feedback, or other horror stories.
Ok, I worked a bit more on the lid, as it needed a strut installed to correct a bowed in side.. And worked to make the two halves LOOK like they belonged to each other. Planes, spokeshave, sanders. and gave things a coat of BLO to seal things up.. All that work dislodged the friction fitted strut, so I needed to glue it in a bit better.. And gave the underside of the lid a coat. Let that smelly BLO sit a day…. Decided to install the hinges, since things wer dry now...
Building the frame was just straight forward woodworking, accurate measurement and square cuts. I built the frame out of cherry 1. I like cherry and how it darkens over time and 2. it was a $400 upgrade for frame on one of the commercial marimba websites. I can get cherry at a reasonable price here.The first thing is to make the two ends. Time to make the keyboard frames. This is one place where building the glockenspiel first really helped in understanding why and how important...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1831 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1856 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 266 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries