This the mast step. When I fabricated the main part it looked pretty good, then I dry fitted it and realized the partner’s hole was about 5 mm out of line. The small piece there is to shim the step out the correct? distance. These are the pieces for the rudder mount. The pieces will be laminated at the forward edge allowing the rudder to be sandwiched between the outside pieces. There are no real clear plans on Shorty’s site on how to build a rudder so I am just going...
816 isn’t really ready for this step but I had to see what it would look like with the mast:-) I am actually glad I did this because I identified a significant flaw in my build. There is significant torque applied to the step and parter so with the way I’ve mounted the partner on the 3/8 bulkhead it is clearly too weak to sustain the kinds of forces that it needs to. I will need to re-work the bulkhead and step. I left the bulkhead free floating at base, in retrospect th...
And at some point you take a deep breath and say “I’ve figured out everything I can on dry land”. The sail needs a lot of reconfiguration. We eventually got something that worked better than in this picture, although it’s got quite a weather helm in that setup. I think we’ll end up going to a fairly traditional lateen rig shortly. The sloped transom makes the rudder funky, I’ll probably build something to put the rudder gudgeons in a more vertical...
Charlene painted the boat this week. Today it was hotter than the hinges of Hades, but I went out and tried to put a couple of coats of varnish on the inside. I’m going to have to wait a while for it to cure hard so I can sand it down and try again, that first coat was soaking in and drying super fast, so looks like crap, but… I got to the “okay, gonna try to test rig this thing” stage, and I think we’ve got enough of the hardware set and enough water sealed tha...
Blessed are the queue jumpers, for they fill a 3 day weekend and leave our hands covered in glue: Charlene and I started construction on the hull this weekend, in luan and redwood. We think we’re building a fairly robust hull, but we are going to glass the seams, and we’ll probably end up building a few extra ribs to brace the bottom a little more robustly. We got the sides cut and fitted, and the bottom glued on but not yet trimmed. There’ll be a bunch of scrapin...
3 hours. 2 sheets of cheap CDX 3/8” plywood, 10 1×2s, 2 2×2s, a sheet of plastic, 2 tubes of caulk, a bunch of deck screws, a few nails, some rope, some ductape, a few other details. Hand tools only, except for battery powered drill/drivers. And then you race. An amazing day out at the end of April in Bodega Bay here in Sonoma County in Northern California, I highly recommend coming out for it, either as a contestant (and this two-year winner is thinking about ways to appro...
On the one hand, you could suggest that I’ve been inspired by Napaman's Stevenson Weekender build, and his Puddle Duck Racer build. On the other hand, you could blame the Bodega Bay Fish Fest Wooden Boat Challenge, which I got roped in to last year because the Sonoma County Woodworker's Association sponsored a team, we won, and this year Tom Segura and I worked with a team of teenagers who managed to compete and get around the course without sinking (with only a little input from us)...
Well…yesterday was a HUUUUUUUGE day in my Weekender Sailboat build…it was a day I had been thinking about for nearly two years (as far as a a place I wanted to get to). Yesterday we assembled the hull with all the parts I had made…some a long time ago… For those of you following my new little PDR Sailboat build the weekender is actually the boat I started with…got pretty far this past summer…and then BAM…life started again as summer ended and I di...
I needed to install my VHF radio in my Montgomery 17 sailboat and I wanted it to be mounted into a bulkhead. To do this I needed to build a little box insert to bolt the radio to. It turned out nicely and was a fun project. I made a video of it mainly for other sailors in a simular position but figured I would share it here since it is woodworking.
I decided the tiller handle on my little Montgomery 17 sailboat needed refinishing so I got down to business. It wasn’t a very difficult project so I made a quick video of it and I thought it may interest a few people.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries