Well its hard to believe that it has been nearly a year since my last update—-and this second little boat which was supposed to be a quick build so I could get on the water will nearly be 2 years into the build…embarrassing! However…after the toughest two years of my life…TWO moves, unemployment, job changes and so on and so on…I finally got both my boats arranged on the patio this weekend. Since we moved back to our house in Napa (where I have lots of buil...
Making the sail was an ideal time to overly complicate and over think the process… But I resisted my instinctive need to make things hard and just went with Shorty’s recommended measures and used two tape measures to define the shape of the sail. I just swung the ends of the tapes in their respective arcs until both ends met and voila a leg o mutton sail. Dead easy and fast. Shorty recommends duct taping along these lines and then cut along the tape. My first thought was to la...
The partner and step line up nicely. I had a bit of a surprise when I discovered the mast was a bit thicker further up and would not fit through the partner. A bit of work with the block plane and all was good. There is a bit of reinforcing yet for the mast but it looks pretty good. I have the brace pieces cut, they just need to be painted and then mounted. I bored out the holes for the pintle bar. I ran into a bit of an obstacle in that I had not really factored in the bul...
Well no pictures this evening. I managed to get a little shop time in, worked on the leeboard mounts, and the step for the mast. Those are ready for gluing in. I temporarily fixed my ROS but the bottom popped out again so I guess it’s time to shop for a new sander. I still have the old B&D half sheet sander of my Dad’s which is just shy of 412 years old and it still works, why can’t a three or four year old sander that spent much of the time in a drawer keep working ...
Days when I do stuff like this I move a whole lot more carefully and really plan out any work with sharp spinny bits. Once I remedied the goof I managed to finish my mast step. A buddy of mine came over after work to check out the progress on 816 and of course we talked about all manner of sailing things. Phil had some really good advice about strengthening my mast/locker bulkhead and not add too much weight. We also had a really good discussion about rigging 816, and I think he ...
Had just about finished sanding 816 in preparation to painting when my ROS decided to spill its guts. It was weird there was no indication it was going to fail, just bam mid sanding the bottom pops out. The motor didn’t stop or buzz just no more sanding pad. I was going to see if I could get it back together but I am going to push on with the painting. The choice of paint colours is what was left in the house from various other DIY projects. I am gaining some painting ex...
Well made a bit of progress today. Glued this down a couple of evenings ago and could finish mounting the locker bulkhead this evening. I’ve added the lid for the locker. I’m not impressed with the fit of the lid but I figure I’m spending too much time on it fiddling and I might just fiddle myself into winter without getting 816 wet. I’m telling myself its for ventilation so the locker doesn’t get musty:-) I did deliberately leave a bit of...
As I closed in the bouyancy tanks I wasn’t really happy with the fit of the lid. I’d allowed a little wiggle room in the width of the top to line everything up nicely (I’m learning not to just rely on measuring:-) so I’d expected some over lap. The funny part is when I got things nailed down the overlap wasn’t all on one side. One the starboard side I’d nailed the inboard bulkhead first for the whole length and then pushed and pulled to fit the top to th...
Well this is the last view inside the tanks as they are now sealed. I will flip it over tomorrow and epoxy the hull, bow and transom and then its ready to float. It is a bit heavier than I thought so I am going to have to rig up some kind of ramp to get it on my roof rack. I may yet be forced into buying a small trailer. This is how I left hull 816 this evening. After the hull is coated I will tape and seal the tops of the tanks but I am just about out of epoxy so I want to get...
So I am having a pretty lazy morning and while I got up early thus morning I kinda just puttered the morning away (looking at potential boat plans can consume a lot of time:-) . I finally got out to the shop, the coffee pot was empty anyway, and decided to fillet the lower starboard joint and then while hull 816 was on its side I coated the interior of both bouyancy tanks and anything else that was horizontal in this orientation. On Paul’s (shipwright) suggestion I wetted out the fabr...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1198 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1220 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 333 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries