My last build was a rustic style X-frame coffee table. After that was finished for the customer I had posted it on my facebook and was commissioned from that post to build a newly married couple to build just a blown up version into a kitchen table and chairs that is bar height. Here is a screen shot of my sketchup plan that I came up with. So, for me I am extremely excited for this build as I have been telling my wife for months that I badly want to build a Kitchen table for someone...
Over view of a Revonoc 28” Restoration. Got it a rummage sale for $20. probably paid to much, but i never saw a other one like that before.So step 1 : removing all part. Be-ward of dead bugs !!! As seen it was in rough shape. Most all those get wrap all possible way, which make them unusable. It’s very important to square them out before any think. Now a plane that size is almost impossible to sand for the normal man like me. The only way is that I personally can u...
The cabinet is in situ! We spent a few hours prepping and mounting the cabinet using four of these superlative products from Whitechapel Ltd: http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/product//274BF4.htmlGenerally designed for bed construction, they easily have more than enough strength in terms of shear resistance and weight bearing. Amazing things. I recommend them and Whitechapel highly. So, the cabinet is complete save for the ongoing glass panel work. The world seemed to have gone through some s...
It’s been a while since I’ve updated with progress, so here’s a minor update. The last couple of weeks have been spent finessing the cabinet with tons of sanding and re-waxing. Everything is going wonderfully on that side of things as long as we ignore the tired aching hands! The last couple of weekends have been spent doing the Tiffany-type glasswork. We chose a Verrerie de Saint-Just clear textured glass (which we believe is now discontinued) complimented by a relativel...
Watch the build video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWKm2X-hBqc I’ve made a few of these pallet signs before. Rustic items like this seem to pretty popular. I thought that since I wastaking the time to build them I might as well record the process in case anyone is looking for an easy project to get started in woodworking. The pallet sign in the intro was one of the first things I ever made and it was a good intro to measuring, using a table saw, and learning glue-up/clampin...
Just some photos of the main build:
Apologies for mangling French irretrievably there just to force out a pun…. The doors presented a few logistical challenges. Surprisingly, the internal rebate angles were the least of these. The largest challenge was in the form of how best to clamp the main outer frame whilst gluing. The frame comprises morticed hinge and lock stiles with two tenoned upper/lower rails. (the mortice and tenon sizes increased in height which the drawing does not indicate) Prior to any shapin...
This blog entry was inspired by Mark Kornell’s query about my approach to waxing. I’m no expert on wax finishing and would never represent myself as such. I enjoy the learning and improvement process, and that is where I take the most reward from working with wood. Wax is a simple and easy to maintain finish which seems to live and age gracefully with the workpiece rather than trapping it in time. Furniture and guitars (my other problem) live with us as companions, picking up expe...
Not a huge amount to add today I’m afraid. The main carcase of the cabinet has had its medium sanding completed (up to 240 grit) and the first guide layer of wax added. I’m genuinely not sure whether this is a valid or efficient method of using wax (it certainly uses up a lot of it) however it produces far superior results than those from the instructions or other methods I’ve picked up. My waxing procedure is to start early. Once all the glueup and sanding that alters fo...
My wife follows shanty-2-chic.com and saw some wall sconces on the website. She decided that she wanted to make them so she asked me to help. I cut the wood and installed keyhole hangers. She did everything else. The vases are old spaghetti jars spray painted gold. The foliage is from Walmart. Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fatBOlTorD8 Here is the project my wife saw on shanty-2-chic: http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2015/03/diy-wine-bottle-wall-sconce.html
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1727 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1752 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 205 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries