These last few days have been both busy and fun. I am so thrilled at all the positive responses that I had regarding my little pumpkin shaped plaques. Before I could even finish them, I had lots and lots of orders for the surfaces. Many people ordered just one or two, as they were planning to paint their own designs on them. It felt good to have something that was liked so much by so many. I am really pleased. Needless to say, I have been quite busy these past couple of days. I hadn'...
Yes – we are already into month 11 of the year. How the heck did that happen? It seemed like yesterday that we were taking pictures of the nearly 4 feet of snow that had accumulated. Wow! How quickly this year has passed!But as I was outside the other day, on an overcast autumn afternoon, I couldn't help but notice the beauty. not only were the trees still half-filled with warm colored leaves, but the other plants and vegetation had also taken on deep, warm color. The air was ...
Part of every workshop success is being organized and having templates on hand to trace and cut out, my shop is no different, for the longest time I kept my templates stuffed in a box, as of lately I have been getting request for shelves, rather than dig out these templates I created the “I SEE IT BOARD” this way a person can see the options that are available, it will be easier for me as well because I will be able to grab what I need and when I am done I can easily put it back ...
Sometimes when I am at my busiest, I have the least to show you. There are so many things that Keith and I do to keep the business running that is 'un-glamorous' but necessary that sometimes I feel I have nothing interesting to show you in the mornings here. Yesterday was a busy and productive day. On Monday, it was my turn for my Art Play Date 2015 project to play, so I have been busy cutting skate surfaces to ship out to those who requested them: I really loved making these ...
I had a few requests for more details on the corner cupboard so I thought I would post this series of photos I took during the project. As the pictures are installed into the blog it chopped off the right side. Sorry. The face frame and the doors are joined using pocket screws. The top is made using 1/2” plywood for a base and then applying the alternating pallet wood and barn board. I used the thickness planer to get both down to about 1/2” so that the total thickness of ...
When I was fixing the knot blowouts in yesterday’s project, “Strip veneering kitchen cabinet doors”, I wanted to finish quickly and I made the classic mistake of hurrying. I know better, “fast” should be way lower on a woodworker’s list than quality, and patience. My impatience resulted in these two ugly basketballs. I wanted to keep the knots, but I did two things wrong. I planed where I should have sanded and I did not keep the knots. When I went i...
I recently completed this easy project and thought I would share the steps I took to make it. I’ve had a handful of railroad spikes for a while, and finally decided I should use them to make a coat rack. I started by removing the rust from the spikes. I soaked them in plain white vinegar overnight. After pulling them out and giving a light scrub with a wire brush, they looked like this. There were still bits of rust on them, so after another nights soak, I scrubbed again and r...
After the approval from my wife that the re-sizing of the table was good today I started the finishing process. I wont ramble to much on this one, just a few more pictures of the progress today. I decided to go with one of my favorite finishes and make it look more rustic and weathered. I will skip the picture of sanding just because im pretty sure nobody is interested in seeing all that anyhow… So here I just finished applying my extremely dark tee mix. I used 4 black tee bags...
So…after being stuck with this table because the clients I was building this for ended up separating I decided it was time to get back to work on it and see if I can interest someone else in the table. Over the last few weeks I have been contemplating what to do with this piece; either continue on the original plan of the high bars stool type kitchen table or go a different route and make it a little more friendly to the typical house hold. I really like the original plan and was ve...
Building for the wife. A project that started with my great great grandmother’s traditional sideboard. Though not particularly valuable, this maple buffet cabinet dates as far back as the civil war era. It was produced in a shop that probably sold a good number of them. The front and sides were well finished, the back, bottom, and inside of the cupboard were rather course in appearance. The cabinet was efficiently assembled and the construction did not rely on glue. I do not know w...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1737 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1762 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 217 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries