Just some photos of the main build:
Apologies for mangling French irretrievably there just to force out a pun…. The doors presented a few logistical challenges. Surprisingly, the internal rebate angles were the least of these. The largest challenge was in the form of how best to clamp the main outer frame whilst gluing. The frame comprises morticed hinge and lock stiles with two tenoned upper/lower rails. (the mortice and tenon sizes increased in height which the drawing does not indicate) Prior to any shapin...
This blog entry was inspired by Mark Kornell’s query about my approach to waxing. I’m no expert on wax finishing and would never represent myself as such. I enjoy the learning and improvement process, and that is where I take the most reward from working with wood. Wax is a simple and easy to maintain finish which seems to live and age gracefully with the workpiece rather than trapping it in time. Furniture and guitars (my other problem) live with us as companions, picking up expe...
Not a huge amount to add today I’m afraid. The main carcase of the cabinet has had its medium sanding completed (up to 240 grit) and the first guide layer of wax added. I’m genuinely not sure whether this is a valid or efficient method of using wax (it certainly uses up a lot of it) however it produces far superior results than those from the instructions or other methods I’ve picked up. My waxing procedure is to start early. Once all the glueup and sanding that alters fo...
My wife follows shanty-2-chic.com and saw some wall sconces on the website. She decided that she wanted to make them so she asked me to help. I cut the wood and installed keyhole hangers. She did everything else. The vases are old spaghetti jars spray painted gold. The foliage is from Walmart. Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fatBOlTorD8 Here is the project my wife saw on shanty-2-chic: http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2015/03/diy-wine-bottle-wall-sconce.html
This was a fun week and a half project… When my wife’s uncle past away 3 years ago, the family had to empty his house and my father in law stumble across a few burls and this stand. He brought them back and gave them to me for me to do something with. I waited quite a while before I got to it, but I think the wait was worth it. I started this project last week and I made a small video of the process.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx24ggsNDSQ I started by cleaning the saw marks with a...
Back before Christmas I built this simple beer tote to present some beers, which I had bought my Dad as a gift. As this was a gift I designed it to tightly house the bottles (the handle acts to hold them in place) but this could easily be adapted for day-to-day use. Check out the video below! Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/thiswoodwork Visit Website: http://thiswoodwork.com/ Like my Facebook page: https://facebook.com/thiswoodwork Follow me on Twitter: https://...
Semi-interactive video. You can chose between my entry for the Challenge Tree and the one my twin-brother made. The Challenge Tree is an initiative of Dominic Bender at “Dominic Woodworks!”: http://www.dominicswoodworks.com/en/ After a few minutes you can click on “channel 1” for Gerrit’s “Woodworker’s meditation altar” or on “channel 2” for his twin-brother’s “Mallet for, and made on a pole lathe”.
Here is the remainder of the yellow pine that I need for my workbench. I had decided to give this thing legs and a skirt (hmm, sounds bad I know – hey maybe it’s a Scottish bench? LOL). The 2 X 12 was for the skirts on the front and the back, and the 2 X 8’s were for leg stretchers. I had 6 pieces of center ripped 2 X 10’s left over from making the top that I could use to make the legs. Still deciding whether to make a regular workbench or stay with my original plan of...
I’m adding some reinforcement to my old sawhorses. I want to set my workbench top on these for a while and I don’t want them to wobble or collapse. I’m just using some old 3/8” T1-11 siding that I had from a long time ago. Some small “A” frame gussets attached with drywall screws. And with what was left of the siding, some 6-5/8” wide stretchers/stringers. Line it up flush on the right, and whack the left side off. I’m using my ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries