It all began when I was building my workbench (blogged here). I was using my first (dedicated woodworking tool purchased) #5 BORG buck-bros Jack plane and it broke. It was working quite well after I learned to tune it, but the materials it is made of are just too weak and flimsy and the yoke that controls the blade travel just broke and became useless: I was bummed, but hey it was a good learning experience, and I have been keeping an eye open for a replacement #5 ever since. not reall...
I first read about hand plane restoration here and I’ve been waiting to try my hand at it myself for some time. The link is very informative and was my blueprint for trying rust removal with electrolysis. What I did differently: I used a “wall wart” as my power supply. My battery charger is too smart and wouldn’t power the tank. I had an old plug to an old scanner that was in the toss pile as part of stage I off “Tiny Basement Shop Construction”, s...
A good friend of mine came across this old vise. It was rusted a bit when he got it. We didn’t get any pictures of it in its original condition though. I recommended he use the molassas method of de-rusting it. He did that for a couple of weeks. We then took it to the car wash to spray it off and then dry it off. He scrubbed it a bit, then lubricated it a bit to loosen up a few joints and it works like a charm. I’ve never seen one of these quick-release mechanisms bu...
While visiting family in Tennessee this week (hence the “pappaw”), I managed to rummage through my late grandfather’s very scary tool shed, which has been pretty much been locked up since he died around 13 years ago. I found some ancient woodworking stuff, which is in pretty terrible condition. This includes a #26 jack plane (with a wooden sole) with some unique properties. I can’t quite date it because the info on the toe doesn’t appear to match anything I ca...
This past weekend my wife was nice enough to forgo her own hobby to watch our daughter and I got about 8 hours in the garage to work. I’m desperate to get as much done on my jointer as possible because as you can see, it is completely stealing my wife’s parking spot (but it is shinier than the car!). I’m going to try and explain the processes I went through while providing before and after. Sorry the shots aren’t from a consistent angle. I didn’t really...
I’ll be documenting my restoration on my blog also. I got these on my last outing. I had just about given up hope when I saw one more yard sale sign on my way home. I managed to negotiate them down to $60. Its a Stanley #7C and #5C. The tote is broken on the 5, and the lip on the 7 also looks broken off. I’ll do a blog on restoring these once I can get some of my other projects squared away. I don’t think these are the kind that should be kept in its original rusty con...
So far so good, there are no surprises. No cracks or breaks. As you recall from my previous blog post the vise will not turn. There is no sense of restoring the vise if you can get to move. So this blog is about getting the screw to turn.I searched for woodworking Columbian vise information. There don’t seem to be much. What I have found so far are mostly pictures and mounting information, but not the details that I am after. Hopefully I am correct in my selection of words in describin...
I posted about my good fortune scoring this early 80’s Jet CTAS10 with Biesemeyer fence and 50” table…. Here she is…. just needs a little TLC I hit the top with course steel wool to get the flakey red rust off upon taking things apart I have these observations… The Biesemeyer fence is really rugged…. tube is straight as and arrow, even after some rough handling, and the ‘L’ brackets are really rugged… must ...
I got the iron cleaned up yesterday. Check out my website for more details. I was pretty impressed with the outcome. I gotta get it sharpened now and start cleaning the plane itself. I removed the handle the other day and cleaned out the mortise for a spot for the new handle. Have some left over mahogany, anyone think that will work? Which way is best for the grain to run, vertical or horizontal?
EDIT: It looks like wide images don’t fit well into the format here. Any tips on the recommended max image width to use and that sort of thing? 25% of the right side of most of my images seem to be chopped off, which I can fix by shrinking the images, but I feel like they would get pretty small in that case! Hello everyone. This is my first time posting something on here, after many years of lurking silently and absorbing a ton of knowledge from the good people on here. I figured tha...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries