I’ve got some things with brown stuff on them. Lesser men call it rust; true LJ’s don’t recognize this “rust” as a worthy foe. To follow is a real-time electrolysis setup. . I’m no expert on electrolysis, but being stupid has never stopped me from doing stupid things. I’m going to blog an electrolysisi system for rusty tools in real time. You accept all risk, as I’ll be deemed incompetent pre-trial, so good luck in the civil.. First...
STANLEY BENCH PLANE RESTORATION Click here for large format version PDF ELECTROLYTIC RUST REMOVAL INSTRUCTION SHEET More information available on my woodworking blog & podcast The Folding Rule Show Step #1 – Cleaning & Rust Removal I have been inspired by a number of resources to start using my hand planes and start on the slippery slope of a hand plane collection. Not the least of whom has been Wayne, our own Lumberjocks plane guru. Of course I have also explored...
I recently built a primitive cabinet with surface mounted hinges. The hinges were new and looked cheesy on the cabinet. I thought about painting the hinges black- but then decided to rust them instead. Rusting hinges and other metal parts for primitive furniture is EASY and QUICK. 2. Do not use a good pan. (Yes- I learned that the hard way today.) Soak your hinges etc in apple cider vinegar overnight. 3. The next day put equal parts liquid bleach and water in an OLD pan and put your part...
Sorry if you get invalid parameters heres the link if it doesn’t work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yb9NHLU20I
Stanley Bench Plane Restoration UPDATE PDF ELECTROLYTIC RUST REMOVAL INSTRUCTION SHEET I have been a bit frustrated, as I can’t use my shop until the outside portion of our house reconstruction is complete which should be very soon. I have been using the down time to restore my Stanley bench plane. As soon as I get back in the shop, I have plans to make a video tool review so I am quite anxious to get going! My Stanley Bench Plane restoration project is near completion. As a remi...
It’s not as if I don’t have planes, but confronted by these two (A Stanley #4 and a Record #5) yesterday at a local car boot sale (flea market?), what could I do but buy them? Especially when the vendor dropped the price before I’d even had chance to haggle. Five pounds for the two seemed more than reasonable. Seven dollars 75 cents is a rough conversion. The #5, especially, is somewhat knocked about, but think of the hours of pleasure I’ll get in resurrecting t...
Stanley Bench Plane Restoration UPDATE PDF ELECTROLYTIC RUST REMOVAL INSTRUCTION SHEET My Stanley Bench Plane restoration project is progressing well. All parts have been cleaned of rust using the electrolytic rust removal process described in the prior blog entry. I was really impressed with how clean the parts were after the electrolytic de-rusting process. As a reminder, this is NOT a plane with intrinsic collector value. I am restoring this “user plane” to be used on my bench...
Well, I finally got out in the shop for the first time in 2013! I covered my tools with tarps to slow the winter rust. It wasn’t too bad. A little surface rust on the tables. Nothing some WD-40, T-9, and paste wax couldn’t handle. I also decided to remove the Rockler router table from my table saw. I could never get the height right. It made it hard to cut accurately.I am still going to use the router table, but build a new dedicated base for it. I upgraded my lighting this wint...
Stanley Block Plane Restoration PDF ELECTROLYTIC RUST REMOVAL INSTRUCTION SHEET A couple of days ago I spent some time rehabbing an old block plane that used to sit on the bottom of my steel carpenters box or in my nail bags depending on what I was working on at the time. I was motivated and inspired by fellow LumerJocks Wayne and Matt to pull this plane out and put it to use in the shop. I do not have photos before starting my rehab – maybe a Freudian slip as I would be embarasse...
It all began when I was building my workbench (blogged here). I was using my first (dedicated woodworking tool purchased) #5 BORG buck-bros Jack plane and it broke. It was working quite well after I learned to tune it, but the materials it is made of are just too weak and flimsy and the yoke that controls the blade travel just broke and became useless: I was bummed, but hey it was a good learning experience, and I have been keeping an eye open for a replacement #5 ever since. not reall...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1413 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 90 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1437 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 196 entries
- shipwright - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries