I probably have spent more than I should at a recent tool sale. However, I could claim that I did manage to have a great find. As I was leaving, I noticed a pile of braces. Well, I already have a few and I also was interested in finding the missing jaws for my Yankee. Why not, I dig in to the pile. Since the Yankee has a distinct look with a button for ratchet control, it didn’t take long to find one. Yes, it is old and showed signs of age. Here are the pictures. The handle measure...
No different then painting the house. The trick is the preparation. That is the part that takes the most amount of time. The actual painting part goes very fast. I took the time to mask off the area that I didn’t want get painted. I didn’t want to have to scrape off the over spray. I took the time to mask off these areas. Tape and newspaper were used. Since my wife had previous compliant about my can spraying projects in the basement, I am doing in the garage with the garage door open...
This is part of III of the blog series where the vise is disassembled and cleaned. Disassembly:I would like to take the vise apart, however it looks like I have to take a compromise. I decided to disassemble the vise as much possible. Once the pin at the rear of the vise was tapped out, I was able to tap the rear guide plate out. Once that is out, the back jaw assembly slides out easily. Now you could clearly see the threaded shoe. I also noticed there is a spring on the fr...
So far so good, there are no surprises. No cracks or breaks. As you recall from my previous blog post the vise will not turn. There is no sense of restoring the vise if you can get to move. So this blog is about getting the screw to turn.I searched for woodworking Columbian vise information. There don’t seem to be much. What I have found so far are mostly pictures and mounting information, but not the details that I am after. Hopefully I am correct in my selection of words in describin...
This saw plate is remarkably well preserved for its age, but it could benefit from a clean. I gathered the stuff I thought I might need, but all I used was the 3-IN-ONE degreaser foam, the Hammerite Rust Removal Gel, the green scouring pad, kitchen roll, and wet and dry paper (more than you see in the picture below). I start by spraying the plate with the degreaser. I have found that the rust remover works better on the first application if the surface has been degreased first. ...
I added another entry to my blog describing the build here: http://saritsblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/garage-sale-handplanes-2-psu-mod-for.html
This article first appeared on my website, Lockwatcher's Lair – I am duplicating it here to share my experience using this system with my fellow Lumberjocks. While not specificly “woodworking” this system can speed up the process of reconditioning old tools without destroying them. The Rust Bucket Let me first thank my good friend Dave, of Pearce Woodworking for this great idea. Dave had some used hand tools he needed to clean up and had located this method th...
There are many good blogs, articles and web pages out there that give you all you need to know about restoring old hand planes. Most of what I learned I got from other peoples advice. Even though there are many resources out there for restoring planes I found myself learning new tips and tricks from each and every one of them. I decided to do a series of blogs on my methods for restoring planes. Most of what I discuss you may all ready know from reading other blogs and sites but hopefully I c...
This series has been quiet for a while, as I’ve been buying replacement parts off eBay and dealing with several small(ish) technical issues. The members of the ShopSmith owners’ forum have been extremely helpful. My thanks to the LJ members who pointed me to that forum. Here is my experience with removing rust by Electrolysis and I’m sure that many LJ’s can benefit using this technique for tool restoration. If you have any questions, just ask and I’ll do my...
As of this posting I’m 2 days shy of being 53 years old and during the past 2 year (since 2008) I’ve done more projects then I ever have. Just goes to show what a “new” wife will do to a man (or is the FOR a man)!!! All of these projects have been completed using hand power tools – a nice set of Ridgid Cordless to be exact. And each of these projects always seems to take far longer then I estimated. A typical two day project can take upwards of 6 weeks. Some of this time is eaten up by th...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries