So for the past 20 or so years I’ve had the below Rockwell 4” jointer. I bought it for $50 off the carpenter that added the second floor to my home. It needed a little work, but for the most part it served me well over the years. The downside, obviously, was the short bed and only a 4” width. So I’ve been searching for a long time for a Craigslist special. Then I saw a post for a 6” Delta jointer for only $100. I then noticed the author’s commen...
I always wanted to try electrolysis rust removal and it is just as simple and effective as they claim. Note: This is not a full tutorial on electrolysis. You must research the many other resources on the internet before attempting this your self. IT CAN BE DEADLY AND ILLEGAL IF DONE WRONG. This is the old Stanley No. 62 low angle jack plane that needed to be de-rusted: Here it is in pieces: And here are a couple “before” photos of the body: Here̵...
This series has been quiet for a while, as I’ve been buying replacement parts off eBay and dealing with several small(ish) technical issues. The members of the ShopSmith owners’ forum have been extremely helpful. My thanks to the LJ members who pointed me to that forum. Here is my experience with removing rust by Electrolysis and I’m sure that many LJ’s can benefit using this technique for tool restoration. If you have any questions, just ask and I’ll do my...
This saw plate is remarkably well preserved for its age, but it could benefit from a clean. I gathered the stuff I thought I might need, but all I used was the 3-IN-ONE degreaser foam, the Hammerite Rust Removal Gel, the green scouring pad, kitchen roll, and wet and dry paper (more than you see in the picture below). I start by spraying the plate with the degreaser. I have found that the rust remover works better on the first application if the surface has been degreased first. ...
Here is a $7 garage sale find from a few years ago. I didn’t know anything about planes (not as if that has changed) but I think that this is a house brand for Montgomery Ward’s. This plane was in bad shape, lots of rust and the bottom had paint and junk all over it. It think it came out pretty good. Next steps are lapping the bottom and sides with sandpaper. The thing I don’t understand with the Electrolysis is the rust seemed gone, but it was covered in somewhat thi...
So far so good, there are no surprises. No cracks or breaks. As you recall from my previous blog post the vise will not turn. There is no sense of restoring the vise if you can get to move. So this blog is about getting the screw to turn.I searched for woodworking Columbian vise information. There don’t seem to be much. What I have found so far are mostly pictures and mounting information, but not the details that I am after. Hopefully I am correct in my selection of words in describin...
There are many good blogs, articles and web pages out there that give you all you need to know about restoring old hand planes. Most of what I learned I got from other peoples advice. Even though there are many resources out there for restoring planes I found myself learning new tips and tricks from each and every one of them. I decided to do a series of blogs on my methods for restoring planes. Most of what I discuss you may all ready know from reading other blogs and sites but hopefully I c...
I guess this is kind of a venting process. Ive recently restored a few Bailey’s (#3 and 2-4’s) and its getting addictive. Ive cleaned some and Ive tuned some but putting a fresh coat of paint, polishing the brass, and refurbing the totes and knobs is very rewarding. Ive accumulated more baileys than I need, but when I see one I want to make it shine again(hopefuly better). Amongst other hand plane stuff I am “refurbing” my 4’s. ended up with a union in the ...
This is part of III of the blog series where the vise is disassembled and cleaned. Disassembly:I would like to take the vise apart, however it looks like I have to take a compromise. I decided to disassemble the vise as much possible. Once the pin at the rear of the vise was tapped out, I was able to tap the rear guide plate out. Once that is out, the back jaw assembly slides out easily. Now you could clearly see the threaded shoe. I also noticed there is a spring on the fr...
As of this posting I’m 2 days shy of being 53 years old and during the past 2 year (since 2008) I’ve done more projects then I ever have. Just goes to show what a “new” wife will do to a man (or is the FOR a man)!!! All of these projects have been completed using hand power tools – a nice set of Ridgid Cordless to be exact. And each of these projects always seems to take far longer then I estimated. A typical two day project can take upwards of 6 weeks. Some of this time is eaten up by th...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1264 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1286 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 370 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 148 entries