I have about 10 saws that I’ve collected over about 5 months. As well as a few planes, and other tools. I was getting tired of sanding the rust off, and wanted to find a way to do a few things at once. I had a 12v battery charger in my garage, a few tubs to put water in, and some spare steel for the sacrificial anode. Where I am, the local stores don’t seem to carry “Washing Soda” so I had to find an alternative to Sodium Bicarbonate. I found a product that wa...
By Joshua Farnsworth (Writer at WoodAndShop.com) I’ve tried almost every method to remove rust from metal parts! In the above VIDEO I show my favorite method for removing rust from metal parts – specifically traditional woodworking hand tool parts – but it’ll work for most other metal parts, like auto parts. Click here to read the original blog post with links. But first let me tell you about the other methods that haven’t worked very well for me: -Electrolisys with a car batt...
Finished cleaning and sharpening Stanley hand plane, Type 19, 1948-61, bought a couple of weeks ago. Here are before pictures: With helpful suggestions from LJ-ers, removed the rust and tuned whatever I could and sharpened the original blade. I have tried it in a real project: flattening and squaring a rather sloppy glue-up for a cutting board. A sugar maple glue-up. Looks like this is the best plane I have put my hands on (except, maybe, for that one in “Woodcraft”...
A lot of folks use electrolysis for rust removal, which works great and if you are going to do a lot of rust removal, I recommend it. I don’t do a lot of it, and find Evapo-Rust works spectacularly to clean up even pitted parts. The product is reusable, so a gallon jug lasts quite a while. I have some different sized plastic containers depending on the size of parts, and completely submerge the parts. I cover the container to limit evaporation (Saran Wrap works great if you don’t have a lid)....
So for the past 20 or so years I’ve had the below Rockwell 4” jointer. I bought it for $50 off the carpenter that added the second floor to my home. It needed a little work, but for the most part it served me well over the years. The downside, obviously, was the short bed and only a 4” width. So I’ve been searching for a long time for a Craigslist special. Then I saw a post for a 6” Delta jointer for only $100. I then noticed the author’s commen...
I decided to try my hand today at cleaning my great-grandfather Herbie's tools that my dad donated to the shop around Halloween. As you can see they’re pretty rusted and well used. The hammer is clearly missing a handle and the two chisels definitely need new handles (one is broken off in the cone, the other has it’s handle but that thing is so dry rotted it hardly weighs anything). After some research on the internet I found a couple home-remedy ideas (I don’t have t...
Just put some stripping jelly on the base tonight with a good scouring first. Scoured it after the jelly sat for awhile. Then I with my ROS I took some sandpaper discs out of retirement from the shop floor and removed what I could with them. I’ll probably do it all again tomorrow and hit up the inside some too as well as work on the top. I want to get the base finished and then worry about the tough part (leveling the beds and setting the knives). Getting a little more excited now...
In this how to video, I show you how you can use electrolysis to restore your forgotten, old, rusty hand tools.
I probably have spent more than I should at a recent tool sale. However, I could claim that I did manage to have a great find. As I was leaving, I noticed a pile of braces. Well, I already have a few and I also was interested in finding the missing jaws for my Yankee. Why not, I dig in to the pile. Since the Yankee has a distinct look with a button for ratchet control, it didn’t take long to find one. Yes, it is old and showed signs of age. Here are the pictures. The handle measure...
No different then painting the house. The trick is the preparation. That is the part that takes the most amount of time. The actual painting part goes very fast. I took the time to mask off the area that I didn’t want get painted. I didn’t want to have to scrape off the over spray. I took the time to mask off these areas. Tape and newspaper were used. Since my wife had previous compliant about my can spraying projects in the basement, I am doing in the garage with the garage door open...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1542 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1567 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 269 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries