Finished up the first set of pen tubes for the Dovetail Pen endevor. Not worthy of a finished pen and now I will need to get a pen disassembly kit to salvage the parts. Oh well, I need one anyway. Problem: Since I don’t currently have a blank drilling jig the center holes were not perfectly inline with the line of the dovetail joint. This leads to pattern allignment issues on the finished pen.Solution: Looks like I will invest in a pen blank drilling jig or make one. (I need on...
Whenever you buy a router, table saw, lathe and some other tools, it is common to get one or more wrenches for changing bits, blades, chucks, ... These tend to be some of the cheapest most poorly made wrenches I have ever seen. The wrenches that came with my lathe literally spread further open when I applied moderate pressure, making them completely worthless. I had to spend over an hour with a Dremel grinder to correct problems with the wrench that removes my arbor nut on my table s...
OK, I turned a bunch of slimline pens as gifts for my coworkers. Now I am moving on to something more complicated. I know it’s a bit soon but I love learing new woodworking skills and the challenge of delving into the unkown. I will blog about my adventure of making a “Dovetail” pen here. The first thing that I learned is how to do end on end dovetailing. More complicated than it looks to join two boards, end on end, flat. Not the usual 90 deg angle like in box const...
As a new member here, I figured that I should share the project I am working on. I am by no means a luthier, or a highly skilled woodworker (yet). This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. It started by felling an ash tree a few years ago and getting it milled into boards. Here I am in my large workshop planing the boards to thickness. Note the fancy chip/dust collector. Did my first bookmatch ever! Made a core from maple. glueing the back to the ...
Not much done today, had time to install the casters. had to go the lowes for some lag bolts (5/16) as the casters did not come with it. I found the casters on eBay for a fantastic price. it’s sold by SES Casters which are here in Massachusetts. total price was ~26 including shipping. they may not be red and shiny – but they are soft, heavy duty, and work fantastic! I highly recommend this seller by any means. I installed 2 swivel casters on the front of the table, and 2 non...
I picked up today where I left yesterday. today however, I had a bit more time to work on this. I printed the face frame design/layout from Sketchup, and out to the freezer we go: I added the 2nd piece that makes up the back (had to use 2 pieces of plywood as I don’t have 1 large enough part for the back), and then I noticed that my plywood carcass is a bit out of wack- the back aligns with the left side, but the right side is a bit lower, ah crap, I guess I’ll have to shim...
Started last night, I remembered that I forgot (go figure) the glue in the garage last time I used it (in the summer) so I went to bring it into the house so that it can defrost overnight as I planned on using it today. I got out of the house today and it felt so nice… kinda warm… 32 degrees (F, 0 degree C) didn’t even need gloves. amazing what a couple of weeks in 12F can do to you. I was planning to have most of the long weekend dedicated for this project, but as thi...
Here it is. My next video… finally! I feel like I got over a lot of learning curves on this one. I found this a particularly challenging subject to present because router inlay can get involved and there are often several ways to go about the different steps. Trying to cram all that into a video, however, is more likely to discourage folks from trying router inlay. My goal in this video was to present the essential knowledge and skills that one can start building on, thereby remo...
Finally had a weekend with shop time, but alas – mother nature had other plans. Saturday was 14 degrees (F). a bit on the chilly side of things, but I figured I need to make use of that time. so I took out the phenolic sheet (36”x36”) and marked it for both 24” width and 28” width. I wanted to get a visual representation of the actual top size. the 28” looked a bit too wide in sketchup, and the 24” is the “standard” when you purchase a ...
Now, it’s time to cut the recesses for the candles. I had originally thought of using a Forstner bit, but it does not leave a smooth flat bottom to the recess. Instead, I used the Forstner bit to cut a pattern for use with my router. I plan to use a pattern bit with a bearing. Looks like it is time to build a jig! Since I am only building one of these, I’ll build a temporary jig. The same elements can be used to create a smaller, but permanent jig. I have two hole sizes so...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries