The first time I ever saw a box joint jig guided by a template bearing was six or seven years ago when a friend showed one as a club demo. His jig was a simple plywood sled with a fence, a wooden bar for spacing the fingers, and a slot through the base that fit a template bearing guide. If I remember correctly, his made joints with 3/8” fingers. Shortly after his demo, I made the smaller jig shown below for 1/8” ‘fingers on small drawers. Here’s a photo of a jewelry ...
If you ever want to get a group of women to take notice then roll their eyes and leave. As they are talking about cooking interrupt and say “Well, according to Rachael Ray….”. Or don’t try it. They usually don’t like it. So, what does this have to do with a trestle table? Rachael does her “eat on $40 dollars a day” program. Or at least she used to. My niece is moving into a new apartment and mentioned that she would like a new kitchen table. She...
This chair really is big. Very wide. 24+inches wide in fact. .Here’s me sitting on it. Note, I’m a big guy and the chair is still big. I think two of my littlest kids could sit in one of these. Comfy big. In fact, the chair is so wide it makes me wonder. Standard cushions are 22” square. Does that mean I need to get bigger cushion materials?
Making Mr Thiel’s Outdoor Morris Chair from his excellent book (pic from his BLOG here).. Thought I bought lumber for two chairs. Made double the cuts and got part of the way through before I realized that I had not doubled the materials. Trip to Lowes Depot this morning and a lot of fumbling through the junk boards got me enough to hopefully do all the cuts I need. I love Mr Thiel’s book but I’ve got one minor quibble. There’s no cut diagram in the book and ...
I have three 4×4’s that after much sanding and steel wool applications have been treated to a bath in teak oil. Color me suprised with the outcome. This outdoor project was worth the 2 year wait. I now will use my new plunge Craftsman router to make room for black tubing to add pizzazz to some climbing roses. I had no idea how the teak oil was going to “shine” my redwood. Wow. Color me impressed. Pictures will definitely follow.
Ok here we go. If you look back to the Beginning most of the walls were up but still lots to be done. This first shot is ater the exterior was completed, my litle truck and my other pal, Ivy. Overall size 24’ x 36’ with a full second floor. Two oversized doors 8’6” x 10’ for deliveries etc. and lots of natural light with oversized windows. My wife and I unload the trucks and push the wood up to the second floor. The next shots are of the second f...
The router is in part oneThis is what I am making my NEW router table top fromThe Old one I bought has been warping more and more over yearsThis is a manufactured bench top surface I got on eBay for 50 bucks21”X 48” , Inch and half thickPVC laminate , Polyurethane (PU) over MDF,, very durable pvc coatingPVC TEXTURED LAMINATE THERMOFUSED 1.5” THICK VACUUMED FORMED ON STRONG MDF. I think this will be a very stable router table topI don’t have a Pic of fence as modified, but below is P...
I was checking out some picture frames that spunwood has on the site and ask to see some profiles. My request was granted so now it’s my turn. I went out to the shop and took these pictures. Hope that this helps those of us that don’t have molding cutters see another way to do it. This one is weathered cedar and a piece of redwood cut with a cove bit on the routertable and a piece of longleaf pine with a rabbet cut making the inside of the frame. Here I used ipe with sedona ...
Tonight I was finally able to use the 1” flush trim bit I got at Lowes the other day and trim back the edge of the shelf top to the template. With the template removed: Finally, after getting the edges sanded and the rounded profile made more round (with my new Rikon 1” belt/5” disk sander), the top/edges/ends sanded with 400 grit, and a quick wet down (to raise grain and get some of the dust out of the walnut grain): Next up is making final cuts to the back...
I made some progress on the actual caddy portion, including it’s base box, on 4/9/2011 (and on Sunday, 4/10/2011 I rested lol – my back and feet are needing some aspirin!). This portion wasn’t terribly difficult. For the actuall caddy portion I used a bit more of the 7” wide pine I had. I cut a couple of lenghts to the 15” width I needed. I used spray adhesive to stick them together, being mindful of orienting the cupping the same way. I have NOT milled...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 267 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries