I deal with correcting mistakes instead! It has been quite a while since my last post, but I AM still working on this project. In addition to regular life, we have had a week long vacation, business trips (including 2 weeks in China), a family illness and preparing for RAGBRAI . The shop time has been hard to come by. I figured this would be a good time to confess and share how I am dealing with this round of unexpected issues. Dull Bandsaw Blade I started to shape one side of the...
I’m now working on a couple of desks for a Medical clinic. I’ve been working on this project for about 13 days now. I built this unit out of oak plywood and red oak lumber. I started this project by constructing the the upper portions first. I had to wait to receive my hardware before building the base cabinets. This set of desks is custom for the client, the first desk station on the left is 50” wide than there is (3) 40” wide stations one of the stations is going to ...
As I have mentioned in a few places, I am in the middle of moving my workplace. Which is where my shop is. It’s going to be at LEAST another month before I get to unpack, maybe more. Things are in an annoying limbo. I went down to the old place today to bang out a few things. I had more ideas in mind but they have to wait. Humidity and I are having a raging battle and I’m on the loosing side of the war. Sigh. But, I had a stack of designs I had cut earlier that needed some b...
Pattern Routing for Fenders for a Toy July 1993 Woodworkers Journal. This is a long detailed blog on pattern routing. I am making a 1920 style Runabout car for the Mason Dixon Woodworkers toy distribution. We usually make about 1300 toys each year that we give to 25 different charities, for them to distribute to the children that they represent at Christmas time. We work every Wednesday, 50 weeks of the year. We are funded by community support in our area, $10.00 here $500.00 there. ...
Today I cut the splines fairly flush with a flush cut saw after taping all around them with blue painters tape. Measured and drilled holes to install SOSS barrel hinges, and rough sanded everything to 120 grit. The first photo is of a maple box in progress. I found a 6’ piece of what appears to be 8/4 maple crown molding and decided it would make a neat box/shallow chest. It will have a spalted maple & walnut laminated top. After flush cutting and sanding box bodies. I did...
i have a bench dog baltic birch router table with cast iron top. i am looking for ideas for adding an on/off switch. bench dog has discontinued their own switch some time back. anybody have any experience or ideas? thanks, lucas mccain
The first thing I did was to make a simple jig for cutting the dovetail in the mitered box sides to receive the splines I tried cutting the splines on my router table with a 1/2” 14 degree dovetail bit I used to cut the dovetail slots in the box side. Too many problems for me doing this plus it was a scary experience even using a “small parts jig” to hold the pieces. After re-reading the responses to my questions posted here yesterday http://lumberjocks.com/topics...
First of all, I want to thank everyone for their input from yesterdays blog. I read all your thoughts and carefully considered everything that was said. The thing about working on my own the way I do is that sometimes it is hard to see all sides of things. I have three cats here who I consider ‘co-workers’ – although their jobs are more of the ornamental variety, and a partner who is kind of too close to the situation to give a good unbiased opinion. I guess that is why ...
Sorry about the delay in posting this tutorial of the series. I ran into some technical difficulties… which is another way of saying I sometimes have the attention span of a gnat and messed things up the first time around. Speaking of messing things up, I’ve injured my knee and have to stay off my feet for a few days. I am only on day two and already going crazy. All in all, it looks a good time for going on with this toot toot tootorial series. —...
Although still distracted by the crown molding project, as well as the “rip off the front porch and redesign it” project with the architect we hired, I have found some time to continue on the wine rack. I used the template to flush-trim the larger racks to the final shape and surface. My search for double sided tape ended up with no success (Rockler’s supplier isn’t making it, Woodcraft was out, etc. Need to start searching those internets for it), so I added the ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1511 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1535 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 253 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries