Recently, I broke down and bought the Bosch enclosed router table, the excellent Incra v120 miter gauge and the Incra Miter Express. In addition to improving my general accuracy on the router table and table saw, my goal will be to craft my own custom spaced and sized box joints and dovetail joints. So far, I can say that all three have done more than I had been able to do with my prior gear. Prior to the Bosch table, I built a small router table insert for my tablesaw (a Delta TS350) th...
The main body of the alligator is a box. My problem has been that I don’t have a planer or joiner so making a box with tight joints is rather difficult. I sanded them out a little bit, but ended up having to make the joints a bit rough and then puttying them. Puttying has become a big theme on this project. I had originally wanted to make this project super perfect with tight joints and whatnot. My problem is that with my impending move, I am having to rush through things. It kind of...
A long time ago, I said I would post a blog entry showing how I plane really big pieces using my router planer. Well, here goes. I started out with some really big cottonwood rounds (that’s my son in the first photo): I cut them into 5” to 6” thick slabs and had to figure out a way to plane them down to 3” to 4” thick to use as table tops for TV stands and coffee tables. That’s when I came up with the Big Boy Router Planer below: I just hap...
Awhile back, I began posting a series of blogs on the evolution of my router planer. Since that time I’ve actually made three more minor modifications that have had a huge impact on how well this thing works. The first modification: I was always frustrated with how long it took to measure the height at which to set the cross members of the planer using my square in a slotted 2×4. Well, I finally came up with a solution so simple even I was amazed (not the brightest bulb in the p...
For me, this is a fun part of the project because it’s when things really start to come together. I didn’t get any photos when I built the top but I basically glued together two sheets of MDF and added some laminate countertop from that big orange box store down the street. I trimmed it with red oak, chamfered the sharp edges, and stained it with a combination of TransTint Dye and General Finishes Candlelight. The only unusual part about the top was an idea I had for mounti...
see the whole story, with the music i wrote while building these projects! @ http://refinedhomerelics.blogspot.com
Despite nagging back pain all week, I was able to complete my router table. Vicodin and Methocarbamol are wonderful things. I digress. . . . I routed recesses in the corners to allow mounting bolts to go in, and this took a while because the top is 2 1/4” thick. I needed several passes to get the depth I needed. I also routed out a couple of places just to lighten the thing up a bit. Turns out I could have routed out much more material than I did. Oh well. I put 2×...
1. Used two metal parallel arms of the same length. This makes possible a wider range of size variations since the router tray can be moved along a longer distance in relation to the template. Furthermore, lifting the router is easier when moving the stylus to a new position.http://www.flickr.com/photos/edurink/5935802701/ The earlier version of this router pantograph is found here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/50802 2. One problem noted in the original set up is the tendency for th...
My fiance’ spotted an area on our property where turtles like to congregate and she settled upon making a sign for them. First, she sketched out the design on an Aspen plank and weathered the edges with a round microplane. Then, she routed the lettering using a straight bit on low speed with a plunge. Third, she burnt in her details. I told her a laminate trimmer would work but she wanted to use “a big one”. I may be competing for shop time soon;)
I am up to the nerve wracking part of this build. I need to put some dados into the sides of the clock, but since both the sides and front/back are angled, the dados need to be angled. I’ve been thinking about how to do this since I started this project. Use a stack dado set and the table saw? Yeah, that would work, but I don’t think the cut will be as precise as I need it to be and the cut would register on the front edge of one side and the back edge of the other side. That...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1806 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 125 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 111 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1831 entries
- dbhost - 438 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 318 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries