Finally got the fence and was able to model it out last night. I wish I had the opportunity to do this earlier, or at least have this model before I cut the hole in my router table top for the router plate as based on this fence I would have liked to put it 2.5” more to the front. but. 2.5” is not that critical, and I could move the fence backwards if needed. hope this can help someone else: this is not a production model, but just a model to help visualize and design a ro...
hand’t got the chance to post this on sunday, but I did get a chance to mill the drawer fronts to thickness, width, and height on sunday, and temporarily install them on the drawers. for lack of materials the drawer fronts came to be 3/8”+ in thickness as opposed to the original plan of 3/4”, but since this is just drawer fronts, I’m not too concern about this. it actually makes it looks a bit more refined and elegant. I do have some alignment issues as the drawe...
I started trying to make some zero clearance inserts for my saw so I can start cutting up the wood for the blanket chest I am working on. I have never done this before so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I looked around at premade inserts and could not find one specifically for the used saw I picked up. I did find some blank sheets of laminate coated phenolic made by Leecraft. The one I ordered was the Leecraft BK-1. It is about 1/2” thick and is 11” by 15”. ...
My router keeps trying to kill me. I don’t know if it’s my fault, or the router’s. It’s a very old Craftsman 315.25070, and every time I attempt anything with it, it either throws a bit at my head, or buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurns. It’s only a 1/4” chuck….I’m starting to think I am biting off -literally-more than I can chew. I wish I’d figured that out prior to chewing a template to pieces. Can anyone recommend a good starter wood. All I ...
day started with a snow blizzard mixed with slush. no fun at cleaning that up as it’s super heavy. but that also mean that it was above freezing temperatures. today I was able to glue up the drawer fronts. these are mostly maple, with some mahogany strips. the mahogany strips are there as a design feature that helps blend in the drawer pulls which will be installed next and will also be made of mahogany – hence the blend in. I added some 1/8” strips of mahogany and map...
Had some shop time today with 42 degrees outside, it was quite a lovely day. my compressor came back to life also – I guess when it goes below 40 the air is too thin for the compressor to be able to raise the pressure in the tank. I also got the radiant heater from Lee Valley. Last time around, by the time I decided to order it- they were out of stock, and just received new stock this week. it works well, not as well as I was hoping for, but decent. To turn it on/off you have to yank...
I have been commisioned by a young man who is an ameture astronomer to build for him an eyepiece box. That is, a box that will hold all of his eyepieces, his filters and his maps without any damage to the pieces. He travels with his telescopes every year to SC, I believe, so it needs to be secure enough to not open up on him and to withstand an accidental tumble or two. I have had to learn how to use a dovetail jig and have done pretty well with it. However, due to my lack of proper pla...
Dovetail Pen Progress Success!! It took a few more tries but I finally have a set of pen blanks worth of being assembled into a final writing instrument. Some more issues that I have run into along the way are: Working with Padauk and CA glue – I found that when I was applying the CA glue to the blanks to stabilize the chipout that the glue would pick up the color from the Padauk. This in effect became a “stain” that would penetrate the Maple and start to turn it pink. I solved this ...
Dovetail Pen Progress Pictures. OK, I managed to get a few pictures off the camera. Just bare with me, this is my “garage” camera so the resolution/quality is not top notch. The three following picture are: #1 – My collection of dovetailed pen blanks. End to end joints for the dovetails. #2 – A closeup of some of the chipout I experienced along the joint seams. You can see the CA glue that I used to solve this issue in the picture. #3 – Finished pen blanks, first attempt. In this pi...
I went to the show today and wasn’t disappointed. It was a small show this year probably because the show was running simultaneously with the Baltimore show that Karson blogged about yesterday. So I think some of the vendors chose Baltimore. Even still there was enough to look at and vendors to talk with. There were several router accessories vendors the two that were most impressive-1. Prazi ChestMate which is a nice setup because you can adjust the spaces between your joints and it...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1265 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1287 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 370 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 148 entries