I didn’t write the final post last week as I was pretty busy with my 20th wedding anniversary. Last weekend I had planned on flattening the tops on my last day off but only got half of it done. I had decided to use the router to flatten it, using a sled and rails. I saw the technique on the Wood Whisperer video and thought it was a good idea. So I went to the big box and got two 2×6 kiln dried 8’ long boards for the rails. The first thing it to make the edges straight and ...
View on YouTube I like the look of bandsaw boxes, but I don’t have a bandsaw. I wanted to see if I could make something that emulated a bandsaw box anyway. It’s not emulating the more familiar drawer style box, but the kind with the removable lid. All you absolutely need is a jigsaw, drill, router table with flush trim bit, and some sandpaper.
Every time I go to make drawers, a war breaks out. Mainly fighting a router, a guide bushing that doesn’t want to go together, a too short dovetail bit, and trying to make a jig WORK the way it was supposed to. Had the router apart, figured I could assemblr the guide a little easier…..NOT! Kept wanting to crossthread.. FINALLY got it in place. Router bit is as far out as it is safe to use. Cranked the bit down to almost where it was needed to be. Try drive was VERY n...
After a long morning drinking my coffee and thinking about alternatives to keep working, I drove to the lumber yard and got a piece of baltic birch to make the flattening sled out of. When I came back I took my bent saw blade out and put a crescent wrench on the bent tooth. I moved it about three times and I think it may be useable. I soaked it in simple green to get the pitch off and I’ll try it tomorrow. I’m expecting that it’ll be a little rough but that’s ok. IR...
So, my task today was to cut up a piece of maple I bought the other day to make the gap stop and get it glued up in the clamps and then go over to family for Easter dinner. I set up the band saw and set about resawing the board into two halves. It went fine for the first 3/4 of the board then it was binding the blade and was not tracking straight, and not wanting to cut. I made a couple of adjustments, everything else looked fine in the setup. It just wouldn’t cut and was binding hor...
Wow! It has been a very busy couple of weeks. Last year I purchased the 2hp Harborfreight dust collector. I knew I was not going to use it in it’s stock configuration, I knew I wanted to set it up like Jay Bates did. So when I first got the DC I crammed it in a spot out of the way, to the right of the DC was the chimney, to the left was a bunch of Junk. I moved it to the NW corner of the basement. The blower is mounted on top of the factory ring and is exsausted to t...
Apologies for mangling French irretrievably there just to force out a pun…. The doors presented a few logistical challenges. Surprisingly, the internal rebate angles were the least of these. The largest challenge was in the form of how best to clamp the main outer frame whilst gluing. The frame comprises morticed hinge and lock stiles with two tenoned upper/lower rails. (the mortice and tenon sizes increased in height which the drawing does not indicate) Prior to any shapin...
Hello all,Just added a new video to my YouTube channel. In this two part video series we build a Mid Century Modern Hall Table with Hairpin Legs. The build is coming along great. Take some time and check it out. when you check out the video don’t forget to subscribe to my channel. Here is a link to my channel & video. Thanks in advance for your support. Here is a link to my channel & video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLScGspjapE
I put in an eleven hour day yesterday on this thing, the work was really kind of fun compared to the tedious work of digging out mortises of the day before. I’ve never tried the draw bore method of locking a mortise and tenon together. I didn’t even use clamps. Well this morning I just had to get the tops to fit on the tenons, so after trimming back a couple of mortise surfaces they both fit down snugly, a very sweet fit. As a bonus, the sides of the tops ended up flush wit...
Not a huge amount to add today I’m afraid. The main carcase of the cabinet has had its medium sanding completed (up to 240 grit) and the first guide layer of wax added. I’m genuinely not sure whether this is a valid or efficient method of using wax (it certainly uses up a lot of it) however it produces far superior results than those from the instructions or other methods I’ve picked up. My waxing procedure is to start early. Once all the glueup and sanding that alters fo...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1584 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1609 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries