Today I started working on a router table idea that I came up with. I currently have a router table (more like a cabinet really) but it takes up to much room in my shop. If you’ve read my profile you know that I only have 99 sq. ft. of main shop space, so maximizing space is a constant challenge. I’ve decided to move the left-hand table saw extension of my table saw to the right side and replace it with some material that could be used for a router table. The material I select...
At the very start, let me give all the credit in the world to Tedth66, whose project this is totally based on, and who has been graciously providing guidance as I build this. This is a modification of his design, adding a few details, and making it work for my shop. I have a 2 car garage / workshop that is tremendously space challenged, so I need to be clever about every square inch. On top of that, I enjoy modifying designs and making them work custom for me. So when I saw Ted’s ...
Recently I decided that my existing miter saw station wasn’t ideal. It is a mobile station and is fairly stable given that it is light and easy to move. But, in truth I rarely, if ever, move it. So, the fact that it is mobile has meant very little. What has mattered is that it is small, too small. Cutting long pieces on it can be a bit of a headache. This was enough of a push to start a new project. Looking around I have found plenty of inspiration. Using this I came up with a few de...
This project has really turned into a labor of love. Although, my work is far from what I’d consider craftsman level, I can tell that boxes are getting more square and my work more precise. What else can you ask for right? What better first project for a new router table and fence than to build it’s doors and drawers. The unit has 4 drawers on the right side: 4”, 5.5”, 6”, 9”. The bottom left drawer is 12”. No real science to the apportionment, ...
This is a recent blog post I did covering the haunched tenons for the cabinet doors for a six-leg sideboard I am building. This is actually episode 9 of probably about a dozen, but this one stands well on its own since it covers a common joint for basic but strong cabinet doors. I have traditionally used cope and stick joinery for most of my cabinet doors, but this particular design does not call for any molding detail on the insides of the rails and stiles, so I figured I might as well use...
I took some new pictures of my shop. (More on my site) They are all in the shop section on my blog. The old ones were taken with my cell phone, so the quality was not the best. Still working out a few things with my blog (trying to get some things with Google search worked out). I’m having trouble getting this site to show up in Google search. Hope to get this stuff worked out soon. If anyone can help it would be grately appreaciated. Also, I have been editing away, I have taped a...
Got the top installed yesterday. Not happy with the finish, though. But it’ll work. I could have saved a tremendouns amount of time by finishing with epoxy only. Two coats would have probably done it. As it is, i just keep sanding through in spots. But you can’t really tell. First time I moved the fence, though, the plastic pad the fence slides on scratched it up, due to 15 years of debris embedded in the nylon. So, I took it off, chucked it in the lathe and faced it up ...
Going to have to write a review another time, but just wanted to gloat about the deal I made on the Bosch RA1181 benchtop router table at Home Depot I discovered that this item was being clearanced in my local store for $129 (regularly $179 – $190), plus I had (yet another) Harbor Freight 20% off any single item coupon, which HD honored (your mileage will vary…). So, I picked up a fairly nice starter table for $103 + tax. Plus, it’ll work great with my Bosch 1617EVSPK ...
I lost count, but I think I have now applied about 12 coats of polyurethane. Nearly 1/2 gallon. After about 7 coats, the endgrain finally stopped soaking it in. So at that point, I basically had a 3/32” thick “plastic” top, as hard as a butcher block. Which is exactly what I wanted. I tried to put the poly on as thick as possible, sanding down all the high spots between coats. After the 7 coats, I realized it wasn’t as flat as I’d like, as I was sanding th...
Last summer I posted this project—-My Router Table Sledhttp://lumberjocks.com/projects/17463It just hit me, I never really showed how the jig could be used. Here is a practical application.I was actually building another jig and needed to slot some small pieces for adjustments. I posted a similar jig last week. I needed another. This one is tweaked a bit. I planed down a scrap of Mahogany I had laying around. (Sorry—no Bubinga) The Mahogany matched my sled ——if you&...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1728 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1753 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries