I decided to put a wagon vise in my bench. I considered a traditional L-shaped tail vise, and also a twin screw end vise. But I really like the simplicity of a wagon vise. Furthermore, since I’m limited on shop space to the tail end of where my bench will be, I thought a wagon vise would consume the least amount of real estate off of the tail. And finally, a wagon vise seemed like it would be a really cool project to build! I hadn’t planned out the exact dimensions of the v...
I know there are a lot of Roubo workbench builds posted in the last few years, but I have no apologies for adding another to the pile. Why did I start this? Mainly because my current bench is totally inadequate. It is a “weekend workbench” I’ve used for a couple of years now, built before I really understood what I wanted or needed. It is made with 4×4 and 2×4 pressure treated legs and stretchers, a laminated MDF top, 2’ x 5’ in size. It has a face vise...
Hello, this is probably my last workbench blog entry, now that my bench is complete! Like I said in my last blog, the workbench has been complete a couple weeks before this post on November 12. With my last post I had wrote about completing the base. After I had the base assembled, glued up, and drawbored I placed the bench top onto the base. Previous to putting the top on the base I had put one coat of boiled linseed oil on the underside of the top. The top is removable from the base, I deci...
I’ve been planning a workbench build for two years, maybe a bit longer. Started by reading everything I could, followed by some quality SketchUp time. Had a design, changed it. Tweaked it again. Threw the design out and started over. More tweaking followed. And so on… Settled on a Roubo variant, and ordered Benchcrafted hardware. A year and a half ago. Complete re-design once again. Did a couple tweaks to that and ordered the lumber. Should be well-acclimated to my shop by n...
Back again friends, Ok, the next step is the make a wagon vise out of this screw I got from Lee Valley. Thanks to PurpLev for the inspiration on his blog:http://lumberjocks.com/PurpLev/blog/17919 First I jointed one side of the boards for the end caps then ran it through the thickens planner, etc… Next since the wood in the wagon vise recess had warped since being cut I had to trim some wood off using my #78, #92, and a chisel. I even used the front bullnose portion of the 78...
Episode Focus: Slab glue up and slab flattening. The first project for season two is here! In this video series I show you how to build a split top roubo workbench on a budget! In this video I show you how to mill your timber, laminate the top slaps, and two methods on how to flatten your slaps using either hand tools or machinery. Video Outline:00:00 – 01:28 Introduction and Project run through 01:29 – 02:58 Timber preparation/Milling process 02:59 – 03:55 Slab Laminati...
The Predecessors One of the first projects that I made when I first started woodworking in 2010 was a workbench for the garage. All 2×4 construction with a 3/4” thick top of white pine. I made all the cuts on my newly acquired miter saw and actually assembled the thing in the living room. Here’s a picture. It was a decent garage/general purpose bench, but too tall and light to be a woodworking bench. I ended up cutting the length down and put it in the laundry clos...
[See this original blog post here] I regularly get asked “Joshua, can you recommend a workbench that is affordable, sturdy, portable, and easy to build?” I used to laugh at the requests. But I recently discovered a historical 18th century workbench that was resurrected from the past by Will Myers, an instructor at Roy Underhill’s The Woodwright’s School in Pittsboro, North Carolina. The old Workbench is part of the Moravian collection at Old Salem, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. ...
Previously, I had run out of time to complete the tail vise on my workbench: This weekend I finally got the time to remedy that situation. I started off by routing the dog holes in one of the boards, then gluing up the leg vise block. The dog holes are spaced at 3” for versatility. Then I needed to figure out what to remove for the various pieces of the vise hardware. Some time was spent with the adjustable square to figure out the recess locations. Note: the measureme...
I was fortunate enough to be able to take off Christmas week and get a good start on my workbench. I’ve had the idea to build one in my head for a few months now, and have been slowly accumulating the parts and hardware necessary. My intention was to make it possible to take the bench apart and move it with relative ease since I will be moving it from my dad’s shop once I have a shop of my own (side note: apartments suck). I used southern yellow pine, special ordered from Men...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1483 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1507 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 240 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 203 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries