(Edit: I’ve posted this as a project, too. Here.) This will be the final blog post of my bench build. There wasn’t much left to do. I finished the shaping of the chop and deadman, which mostly involved adding roundovers, fairing curves and sanding. Then I applied a coat of Waterlox: To assist with grip, it helps to add a facing of leather to the inside of the chop. Fortunately, part of the Benchcrafted package. Sized almost perfectly. Roughed up the chop face and appli...
I’ve been (very) slowly plugging away at my workbench here and there. I think I finally have made enough progress for another post. I noticed that the 2×6 that I had for my last leg was pretty twisted and knotty. I glued it up to see if I could just plane out the twist, but it proved to be a royal pain in the butt, and I figured it would only complicated matters down the line, so I went to the store and picked through the pile until I found a nice straight one. This one glued up...
Trimming the tenon cheeks and shoulders was fairly straightforward. The hardest part was flipping the 200 lb slab every 5 minutes… There were two issues. First, the tenon shoulders weren’t coplanar. In fact, they formed a kind of X. I doubt my collar jig was that bad, so I’m inclined to think there was a lot of flex in the circ saw, and probably exacerbated by the blade burning issue. The second issue is that the tenon depth was uneven. That’s a layout problem. ...
Finally got some time to get back on the bench. After all, its only been 5 months since I last worked on it. Decided to tackle the end cap on the vise side. Condor tails for joinery, naturally :-) Popular Woodworking recently sent out an email with article from Jameel Abraham (Mr. Benchcrafted) on the process, pretty easy to follow. Link: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/make-condor-tails First, though, I laid out the tails full size and played around with sizes to get so...
My office building where I work is upgrading their HVAC system, and the new equipment was delivered packed in long crates. The wood was going to be scrapped so I loaded up my hatchback and brought it home. Now I figure I have to make a proper workbench, since I’ve been making do with a wobbly 1950’s kitchen table on hairpin legs (cool table, but it makes a crappy workbench). I like how the Roubo style benches look, and they seem pretty straightforward to build. I found Chris Sc...
So, the pictures above are the two slabs. The larger slab is at the back, on edge. It will be the front slab, and is actually still going to get two more timbers added to it, a dog strip and the face strip. The slab in the clamps is the back slab. Rather than going with a “normal” split top design, this one is using asymmetrical slabs. The front slab is going to be about 16” wide, while the rear slab is a bit over 11” wide. Both slabs are out of their c...
Yes, another workbench build blog series. Not exactly a novel topic, and I will strive to keep the series to less than novel length as well. Of course, given how long this build has been simmering, if I posted on it once a week, it would be closing on Russian novel length. So, some quick background. I’ve been working wood for about 15 years now, not that my output would give much hint of that. Still, I have graduated from using a Black & Decker Workmate (a wondrous, underrate...
Yet another weekend and yet another couple days of shop time with the boy working on his bench. I have been trying to sneak in there as much as I can without him to kinda skip ahead a bit. I am not sure he has the attention span for a drawn out workbench build (ahem Stef.. ) so we need to get this thing moving lol. It all started on Saturday with the through mortises for the front legs. I was luckily able to get the oh so boooring job of laying out the mortises done while he was napping...
Over the past month or so my 15 month old son has been following me into the shop to “Help” out in there. This has quickly become his favorite past time and goes running for the door every time I refill my coffee mug (an action that always leads shop time lol). Once in there he is enamored with my workbench and all the cool wheels and pegs on it. So the decision has been made that he shall have a bench to work on when helping in the shop with daddy. Basically it will be ...
After the success tweaking the installation for the end vise I hoped the good karma would continue to the leg vise. Not so… It All Starts With A Small Bonk… I removed my chop from the clamps, removed the glue and jointed/planed to size. the final size was about a 2 3/8 thick – plenty. I determined the centerline of the chop and leg and clamped the chop directly to the leg. I transferred the hole locations to the chop. The it was off to the drill press. Simple. While at Marc Adam...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1612 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1637 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 222 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- robscastle - 181 entries