From Roubo Slumber This is the current state of my Roubo. I’m pretty embarrassed about that, given that i have had the lumber for a few months now. I have encountered several glitches, besides my doctorate (when it gets in the way of woodworking, that’s exactly how i think of the damn thing). -First off, i miscalculated the stretchers. Since it’s 2 laminated pieces, one should be shorter than the other, and i ordered 2 of the same size (and shorter at that! the width betwe...
A year ago I mused about my future Roubo workbench. A month after that I mused some more. Now that I’m planning my lumber purchase (for real this time!), I want to update my musings with a third post. The most significant change to my plans is that I’m planning on using 4/4 for the top, if not for the entire bench. The Schwarz mentioned that this is a good solution for a hand tools-only woodworker since the boards will require less work prior to glue-up. I’m all for les...
So it’s finally happened! Of course, the day before i read that the Schwarz is coming out with another workbench book, this one more hand-tool-apartment-dweller-friendly, but no matter :-/.The lumber has been ordered and picked up. I know it’s premature to thank ppl for helping me build a workbench when all i have is a pile of lumber, so for now, i suppose i would like to mention that there are two people without whom i could not have a pile of lumber that is hopefully soon to be ...
Picking up where I last left off (each leg glued, and hand planed to clean out the glue lines), It was now time to get some assembly done. First thing First – gotta trim all legs to same length/height since during glue up some boards decided to move about. I decided to use a reference point that I could use on all legs that would match them all up – since different legs had different boards that moved around – the only reference point that I could use (and the best one of...
so After setting on the last design (see previous post in this series) I went out to disassemble the bowling alley laminated top – the purpose was to remove all the nails, so that I can drill the dog holes, and also laminate it in a double stack to give me a 4” top on the perimeter (5” in from the edges – for clamping purposes, and leg attachments). This idea turned to be disastrous. The nails are hardened steel, and twisted making the job of pulling them outridicul...
There was (and still is) a book called The Inner Game of Tennis, and while I never read it, I remember one of the claims the book made. The claim was that the more one thought about playing tennis (and playing it well), the better one played tennis in real life. The parallels have been drawn in many other sports and indeed, in many other facets of life. So why not woodworking? I am convinced that my workbench will be far better, and the construction far smoother, because of my ruminations. Wi...
If you’ve been following my blog you know that we’re moving into a new (to us) house this month, and I’m planning to build a Roubo workbench to christen my new workshop space. Well I’m out of town for a few days and have a little evening free time, so I thought I’d jot down my thoughts as to what kind of Roubo I’d like to build (yes, there are many styles of Roubo!): I plan to have the legs tenoned straight through the top, including the dovetailed out...
It is time to assemble the base for this massive bench. I gathered some air dried oak that I had left over from wedge stock when making windsor chairs and my drawknife. I carefully took the oak down to 5/16” thick since that was the size of holes I chose to drill to hold this all together. At first, I made the pegs square and cut them to length. Then I wised up and realized that if I carefully split that baby, I could save myself some effort and get 2 sets of pegs from one piece...
It’s time to get some legs on this baby. My son and I started my milling the mostly oak stock I am using for the legs. I glued them up and dressed them up until they came in at a finished dimension of 3 5/8” by 4 5/8”. They are beefy but I want this to be a sturdy bench that’s not going to move and has enough size for whatever project I want to tackle. The top is 23 5/8” wide and looks to finsh up about 9’ 2” long. I settled on 1 1/2R...
Ok, here is the hard work and sweat that needs done – the underside of the top need to be reasonably flat. It is 23 3/8” wide by 9’ 5”long. First up is the scrub plane to get rid of a bit of misalignment from glue up. Here is the last of the scrub plane work. Next I used my #5 jack plane with a blade that has a bit if crown on it to get things flat. As I worked, I checked my progress across each side and for wind and marked the areas that still needed work w...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1197 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1219 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries