Over the past month or so my 15 month old son has been following me into the shop to “Help” out in there. This has quickly become his favorite past time and goes running for the door every time I refill my coffee mug (an action that always leads shop time lol). Once in there he is enamored with my workbench and all the cool wheels and pegs on it. So the decision has been made that he shall have a bench to work on when helping in the shop with daddy. Basically it will be ...
It is time to assemble the base for this massive bench. I gathered some air dried oak that I had left over from wedge stock when making windsor chairs and my drawknife. I carefully took the oak down to 5/16” thick since that was the size of holes I chose to drill to hold this all together. At first, I made the pegs square and cut them to length. Then I wised up and realized that if I carefully split that baby, I could save myself some effort and get 2 sets of pegs from one piece...
I got some time in the shop tonight and was able to get the sliding board jack made and installed. To make the V-groove at the bottom, I first made two cuts down the center with a rip panel saw. Then I cut a 45-deg kerf from the front / back that met those first two cuts in the middle. Finally, I chopped out the middle section and pared it flat with a 1/4” chisel and cleaned up the slopes with a paring chisel. Here’s a picture after the first 45-deg cut: After the sec...
Wow, that was tedious. Sawing through a 6” x 6 1/2” with a ryoba was no joke. Then I had to flatten the bottom. Not too bad. Creating the chamfers on the bottom of the legs was fun, though. Then I weighed the leg with my luggage scale just for kicks. All four legs are done. Next: fitting the long stretchers! P.S. The post title is my general feeling after seeing my legs lying horizontally on the ground for such a long time. It’s good to see them upright!
Hi guys, this is my first Blog as I start my journey into the realm of fine wood working. I decided earlier this year that I would like to get more involved in working with wood and creating my own furniture and such. It all started with building a Apothecary style console for my wife that I got the plans for off the internet. While building that project I soon learned that I desperately needed to upgrade my tools. Since then I have acquired a few of the must have power and hand tools but I s...
21st Century Workbenches Project #7: The First dry fit this will give you an Idea of how big these benches really are.
Well my Friends I have been at if for some time now and felt it was time to get busy I worked on the legs first after a critical error the leg assembly had to be broken down which was a big job and then the legs were taken back one step the outer legs were re worked and the bench was put together for a test fit and to let the tops lye flat for a while to get them as flat as can be. First we made the leg assembly this is a through mortice that is back cut and wedged together for a tight fit...
I was fortunate enough to be able to take off Christmas week and get a good start on my workbench. I’ve had the idea to build one in my head for a few months now, and have been slowly accumulating the parts and hardware necessary. My intention was to make it possible to take the bench apart and move it with relative ease since I will be moving it from my dad’s shop once I have a shop of my own (side note: apartments suck). I used southern yellow pine, special ordered from Men...
So it’s finally happened! Of course, the day before i read that the Schwarz is coming out with another workbench book, this one more hand-tool-apartment-dweller-friendly, but no matter :-/.The lumber has been ordered and picked up. I know it’s premature to thank ppl for helping me build a workbench when all i have is a pile of lumber, so for now, i suppose i would like to mention that there are two people without whom i could not have a pile of lumber that is hopefully soon to be ...
After a good day in the library, i decided to reward myself by gluing up one leg (it’s the only one with all 3 pieces dimensioned properly). I opted for the Schwarz’s gluing up accoutrement (part of a multi-grain cheerio box in my case) rather than my roller, as i didn’t want to wash it up after one use. Jury’s still out on the method. I did dare to change one piece of his advice, though, and i am throwing it out there for other beginners who find making jigs more inti...
A lot’s happened lately! I pegged the long stretchers. Funny story. In my mind, the pegs in Schwarz’s Roubo were 5/8”. I didn’t have a 5/8” bit, but I had a very nice 3/4” one, so I used that and made 3/4” pegs. I figure, maybe they’re a touch bigger than the ones Chris used, but hey, no biggie. Just the other day I realized: Chris used 3/8” pegs!!! Haha, oh well, the Schwarz has said that you can’t overbuild a workbench, right? ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries