One of the things I’m most thankful for about this project is all the lessons I’m learning, relearning, and getting a new appreciation for. Dimensioning the boards for the top 100% by hand has proven to be a lot of work, but I’m loving every bit of it. Planing these boards has been a real challenge considering that they’re a foot longer than my current plywood + hardboard bench top. I’ve had to be creative and to attack that problem; finally coming up with a g...
I did follow the WoodWhisperer’s plans for the dog holes as well as many of the other elements. I reversed the dog hole jig to make one for the dog block which was canted in the opposite direction. The only thing that accomplished was it kept the 3/8” strip on the movable dog block on the same side as the glue-up. Routing the dog holes went smoothly, lots of sawdust and shavings! Gluing the thin strip to the routed piece with a full length caul. Broug...
It’s day two of the Roubo bookstand build. Yesterday I got the hinge section chiseled away, which I thought would have taken the longest amount of time. I have all my lines laid out so I don’t have to waste any time getting right into ripping the board. First up I take my smaller miter saw and start at the closest corner and make sure that as I cut, everything is nice and straight. If you start to get off it will look bad on the inside. After I get as deep as the miter saw will go, I switc...
Since my last post, I’ve done some preparations for traveling, traveling, and recovering from traveling, so I haven’t had much shop time. Last night I had an hour or two. I had been considering building my double-screw Moxon vise for the Instructables woodworking contest. Nice prizes! But I figured I’d better stay focused and try to make more progress on the bench. Next step: mortising the legs for the short stretchers. In my last post I suggested that it’d be &...
I know everyone posts their workbench build, but I wanted to post mine too. Haha! I had a day off today so I milled my Douglas fir 4×4s as square on all four sides as I could. I was originally going to use a bunch of white oak flooring that we had taken up from a job but I realized that was going to be a lot of work to only end up with a 2” thick top. After milling the 4×4’s they are roughly 3 1/4” thick. Much better. I stacked them end on end to see how they would...
My friend and I are in the planning stages of doing a joint, side-by-side build of some new workbenches. This will start with the logs and hiring a guy with a woodmizer to mill the timber in to boards. It looks like we are going to be using red oak, as we are able to get more than enough at the going price of fire/cord wood, then paying $.30/bd ft. to have it rough sawn. So, this won’t begin till next winter after it dries. Here are a couple sketches. No secrets here on the des...
Yesterday I took the end cap and cut out two mortises first using a spade bit and then chiseling it square. I had to trim the tenons down a bit to fit in, and when I was squaring the small mortise, part of the end grain wall broke away leaving me with a big gap. I really didn’t want to make another end cap and do all of this work again, so I think I’m going to go with it for now. If I decide later I can’t live with it, I can just take it off and make another o...
As promised, here is some pictures of my progress so far. It is a 17th century workbench fashioned after the drawings by a French joiner named Andre Roubo in his multi-volume treatise “The Art of the Joiner”. I am following the plans in the book by Christopher Schwarz called Workbenches: From Design and Theory to Construction and Use. Here’s a link to the Amazon store: http://www.amazon.com/Workbenches-Design-Construction-Popular-Woodworking/dp/1558708405/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...
Parallel guide chain mechanism To make the chain mechanism, I used #35 chain and the sprockets are 10T with a 3/8 center. The chain is attached using two chain links. I had to do some metal working to create a few items: the brackets to hold the sprockets and a way of securing the chain at both ends. I had a 1.5” rectangular steel tube in my scrap collection so I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to make both brackets that hold the sprockets with 3/8 bolts. Big box store ang...
These posts haven’t been exactly chronological. For example, in the last entry, (about finishing the underside of the top) some of the stuff I did prior to finishing the legs and stretchers, and some of it I did after. But for the sake of giving better flow to this blog, I thought I’d lump stuff together in logical parts. I digress. My drawbore pin arrived from Lee Valley recently, so I was able to finally connect all these mortis and tenon joints. As I had previously menti...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1634 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1659 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- robscastle - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries