After admiring the double and double-double dovetail joints that are capable with the Incra and other jigs, I started thinking, “Why not try this by hand?” So this box is my first experiment with handcut double dovetails. It took me some time to figure out the joinery process, but once I realized a few things about this type of joint, it seemed do-able. It was quite challenging but also a ton of fun. It also does take some degree of patience and precision…which I’m still working on. In...
Until recently my lathe experience has been 50 or so pen/pencils, a few miniature goblets, and a couple small 5 inch bowls over the past few years on a Jet mini lathe, enough to want to try other lathe work. This past fall I was fortunate to have the opportunity to acquire a PM 3520B, but due to other work and priorities I’ve not had a lot of time to use it yet…and that’s “killing me”. So this blog documents what I consider my first significant lathe project. Recently a partially segmen...
Some time ago I posted a blog about a dovetail joint I came up with. I call it the radial dovetail. It incorporates handcut dovetails, but rather than using the traditional 1:8 ratio for the dovetail angle for hardwood, each side of each tail varies and is drawn from a perspective point. Then the sides of the box were contoured to blend with the dovetail design. Here’s a picture of the nearly completed box. It is made of curly maple, Carribean rosewood, and hickory.I like to think of t...
Houndstooth dovetails use varying sizes of tails (or varying sizes of pins…depending on your perspective). I’ve wanted to try them for quite a while now. This blog shows most of the process I’m currently going through. To get the effect it seems to me you need more tails/pins per corner than one would normally think about. In this case like a few of my other recent boxes posted, I’m using Caribbean rosewood and curly maple. Most often, (when you see them at all) these are done by alte...
I’ll call this a radial dovetail (for lack of better name). This is a practice handcut joint for a future keepsake box. It’s curly maple and Caribbean rosewood. My initial thought was to have all the sides of the dovetails in the maple point to one common perspective. However, during layout I quickly found out some of the angles would be far too severe, putting the integrity of the joinery at risk. Thus I used two perspective points for this joint. Note there are four tails in the...
As you may know, I am currently working on a bookcase job. While it is only 6ft on one side and 8 on the other with a 45 cab in the corner. It is still big for my shop. It is the first cabinets I have done in a couple of years and is very enjoyable project so far. I have been moving this pile of wood around for 2 weeks and I am over it. There is a little bit of everything there. A chunk of padauk, walnut, rosewood, and some zebrawood. I think there are some others, but do...
As you may have guessed, I make many of these tables. The practice is needed, and the combinations of woods make it very interesting. These were all made from the plexiglass templates shown. By using these templates, I can make these tops very quickly. I also have other shapes that are more complicated, which I’ll post at another time. Lee
I have been thinking about what I could build for my 10 year old daughter for Christmas. She enjoys board games like Monopoly and Clue, so I thought I would build a fancy board game box to hold a Monopoly set with a drawer to keep all the money, cards, and game pieces organized. I looked at the others posted on LJ and a few other places on the web for inspiration and I played around with a few designs of my own in SketchUp. As with most things I draw in SketchUp, I was spending so much t...
Dear fellow jocks, I want to report to you all the “odd” woodcarving methods (with photos) that I have been using in the completion of the announced chest of drawers. So, please, click here.
Here be a few photographs on a border design for one of the chess boards. This board is NSW Rosewood and Camphor Laurel The border was made by cutting triangles of NSW Rosewood and Silver Ash and laminating them between strips of Camphor Laurel and Queensland Maple..alternating the colors.. Then it was a matter of making a lip in some Rosewood and glueing the Triangular feature to the solid rosewood and mitre cutting the corners… this is actually harder than you might think...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1813 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1838 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries