LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'rosewood'

  • Advertise with us
View Luke's profile

Chess pieces and board #4: Turning the Castle

66 days ago by Luke | 4 comments »

Here is a quick video of turning the Castle. Thanks for watching. http://youtu.be/UY_DCk-qAg8

Read this entry »


View Dan'um Style's profile

ring box for buddy who wants to propose using a gothic style box

66 days ago by Dan'um Style | 7 comments »

This is what I came up with.Rosewood top and bottom. White oak with dark mission oak stain. Medallion is pre 1930’s silver. 1 3/8 Dia.Plan is to velcro the cup in the center box and get some lace to dress it out. Box is 3 3/4 sq and 1 7/8 tall.Ring cup is about 1 3/4 square and made from teak.

Read this entry »


View Luke's profile

Chess pieces and board #3: Finishing Off Lathe

70 days ago by Luke | 0 comments »

I usually just finish the chess pieces one at a time. I wanted to be able to get a good smooth finish on them like you do on the lathe but still be able to turn another piece without having to wait for them to dry in between coats.This is what I came up with. I drilled a 1/4” hole into 3/4” dowel and inserted a 1/4” dowel to chuck in the drill. I drilled a 3/4” hole in the holder and used a round file to ream it out so there is enough play to let it spin freely. After ...

Read this entry »


View Luke's profile

Chess pieces and board #2: How to turn a pawn chess piece

94 days ago by Luke | 0 comments »

Here is a time lapse I made of how I turn the pieces. Keep in mind I have only turned the pawns and haven’t gotten to the more complicated pieces. Because I must be crazy I am turning the pawns first, then the rooks/castles, then knights, then bishop, queen, then king…. We’ll see if that’s how it turns out. In order of power in the game. Although the king may be the weakest. This is my second dark pawn. Six more to go then on to the back row. Thanks for lookinghttp://y...

Read this entry »


View Luke's profile

Chess pieces and board #1: Pawns and working out the kinks

102 days ago by Luke | 4 comments »

I decided to make a 4.75” chess set and board. I knew it would take a while and it has taken me about 30 minutes per pawn to turn them not including 5 coats of wipe on poly with dry time between. So far I’ve turned all of the white pawns, which are curly maple. This is the first one I turned and it’s looking pretty rough, but I’ve gotten much better since I started. It all started with these turning templates that I made. I found the design for the pieces on the web...

Read this entry »


View Dan'um Style's profile

oak box #10: coat of wet finish

138 days ago by Dan'um Style | 6 comments »

Sanded this one to 150 grit and figured a good wet coat of lacquer might bring out the grain a bit. The rosewood and turquoise together for the photo. Will glue last. The turquoise is from eBay China. Fun stuff.

Read this entry »


View Dan Krager's profile

Turned handles #4: A brief interruption

177 days ago by Dan Krager | 1 comment »

I’ve posted a blog on my website about a volunteer handle turning project. DanK

Read this entry »


View KomputerMan's profile

Building Jewelry Boxes with EZInlays #2: First Cuts for RoseBud

358 days ago by KomputerMan | 0 comments »

Started to build the RoseBud inlay that will go on the lid of the Bubinga and Purple Heart jewelry box. For this inlay I am using maple, yellow heart, rosewood, and kauri. Tomorrow I am going to do some sand shading to give the inlay a 3D effect. Should be pretty cool… P.S. The only down side to sand shading is the wood can sometimes stink and yellow heart is one of the worst!!! It is almost as bad as zebra wood… not quite but almost!!!

Read this entry »


View Retsof's profile

Checkerboard Project #6: Back On Track

453 days ago by Retsof | 4 comments »

I gave up on finishing this checkerboard project in time for Christmas, and then I was out of commission with a bad chest cold for another three weeks. Once I was back to 100%, I got to work finishing my White Oak Bookcase project. Now it’s time I got this one back on track. The last thing I had done on this project was to glue up all the squares for the top. I did half of the board at a time and then used my biscuit joiner to join the two sections together. I put in some time ...

Read this entry »


View Dan Lyke's profile

A Guitar for Daniel #8: Done. For now.

478 days ago by Dan Lyke | 1 comment »

Daniel came back for another visit and said “yeah, it sounds really off at the 12th fret”. With visions of “oh, crap, we have to mill off that fret and move it” we started playing with things, and discovered that the bridge was in the wrong place. The bridge had individually adjustable string positions, so we moved them, and got a sound that was okay, but the bridge was also really too high. So I chucked it up in the milling machine, milled it down a bit, then t...

Read this entry »


1 2 3 4 5 next »
45 entries


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase