I’m sanding a solid walnut seat with a Festool RO150. I progress through sanding grits 150, 220, 320, 400, 500 and a burnishing pad. This is about a 40minute process made into a time lapse that is about 4:30 long. This is after I’ve ground out the seat using a kutzall carbide wheel, you can also view that process in my you tube channel. Thanks for watching and hope you enjoy.
My mom went with me when I bought the wood for my first rocker and she realized I bought enough wood to make two rockers. She put her order in for one right then. Today is her birthday and mother’s day so I got started on the rocker. I don’t expect to get done until this winter because I don’t do much woodworking in the summer. 5/13/12 When I made my first rocker I cut enough rocker slats and back brace slats to make a second rocker. I got started by glueing up the ...
I am considering offering a new special for those who would like to take my Maloof-style rocking chair class. After talking to a number of woodworkers, I have come up with a “class bundle” offer for a week of instruction on rocking chair science. If at least six (6) woodworkers sign up for any week-long (5 days) “class bundle,” then, by a drawing, one of those woodworkers will receive that “class bundle” for FREE. Included in the five-day (Monday t...
In the last post you saw my fancy-schmancy headrest cutting jig. Well, I couldn’t come up with any reasons not to use it, so I loaded up my one and only headrest blank, fired up the saw, and started cutting… Here you see the back side of the headrest after the first cut. As you can see, the blade blew out the back side as I went along, but I figured I could sand it out… It’s a bit hard to see, but this picture shows the blade position just after exiting...
Hey team,I’ve behind in my project updates, so I’ll try to put up a few short posts covering what I’ve done in the last few weeks. With front and rear legs attached to the chair seat, it’s time to cut out the curved headrest. If you remember, I glued up 6 pieces 8” tall with a 5 degree bevel on the edges to create a arc of wood. We want the finished headrest to be a smooth curve front and back on a 28.5 inch radius. Naturally, I built a jig: In...
We’ve all been there: you do the dry fit, you set up your clamps and cauls, you clamp it up dry, you remake your cauls and clamping blocks. Then you do it again. Then one more time, just to make sure. You clear everything from the area but the tools and parts you need. You go through the steps in your mind for the 20th time. Then you open the glue, and it all goes to sh!t… If you’ve been following along, you know I’ve spent the last two months building this roc...
My daughter is pregnant and I though I surprise her with a rocker for her first born. The rocker will be made of leopardwood and walnut. I got 8/4 ash for the laminate forms. I’ll have about 6 hours a week to work on it so it will take most of the winter. I haven’t ever made a rocker so I bought the plans from Hal Taylor and I’m already glad I didn’t try it on my own. Day oneI bought some 1/2” baltic birch for the chair patterns, cut them on the bands...
I just sent an email off to Hal asking questions on some of my progress, and I realized I had taken some pics that I had not posted. I built a jig to cove the arms; it is designed to hold the arm billets in place with three threaded rods, and to hold the jig at an angle to the saw blade. Here are pics: This shows the jig in action on the table saw. The square frame holds the billet in place with three rods. the rods are epoxyed into wood handles and run through threaded inserts screwed...
I threw caution to the wind and took my new Kutzall to my seat. Most of this is by eye, which is a leap of faith for me, but I think it might turn out ok in the end. I strongly suggest doing all of this work outside! I moved in later when the sun was on me and now my shop is covered in dust. I felt I had one “good” side, and one less good, so I made a template of the good side and transferred the shape to the other side. And I saved the template… Much san...
The headrest is made up of 6 billets, 4.75 wide by 8 tall. They are glued together to form a curve. This means they need an angled edge to create this curve. I used a Wixey angle guage to make a pair of coopering jigs for the jointer. They are 4 and 5 degrees. Using the cut offs from the jig I glued up pairs of billets: With three pairs of billets glued up, they were too curved to clamp together so I used pinch dogs top and bottom. These worked great. Finished, they ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1525 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1550 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries