In this blog series, I’d like to invite you to join me on a journey of discovery as we look at the history and restoration of an old English back saw. This is where the story starts… I really wanted one of these (Adria Large Tenon Saw 14”x 4”) …but didn’t have enough of this: So over a number of weeks, I trawled through eBay.co.uk, until I finally found and bought this… The saw plate is 14” long and the saw is 18 ½” overall. It has an iron back and is...
When my chainsaw broke the other day, halfway through a log, I reached for a secret weapon I’ve not really brought out into the light in the exactly 6 months (as of today) since it arrived: my 36”, German, hand-hammered, regular-tooth, one-man crosscut saw from Traditional Woodworking. Here are pics from early October that I’ve had squirreled away. The saw was so much bigger than I’d even imagined, and I had imagined it even bigger than I would ever have imagined it to...
Not only do I love maple and walnut, but I think they love each other too. They look so damn good together… they work well together, and they compliment each other beautifully. What more could a couple ask for? Well tonight I managed a wee bit of shop time. Between my 4 hours of sleep last night, being up at 4:15 am, and dealing with a two year old and a four year old that don’t play nearly as nice together as maple and walnut do, it wasn’t much shop time. But it was enou...
Got back out to the shop and made the little guide blocks as seen in the Vintage Saws site tutorial. The use of the blocks really did help to maintain the rake angle and give you something to hold on to when filing. I continued to file all the teeth from one side until they all had a uniform shape. After the teeth were shaped, I set them using a standard set with a range of 4-12 TPI settings. I used a set similar to this one: I jointed lightly once again and filed t...
Disclaimer: This blog follows my Magen David Board that is already finished and posted here In Highschool I always doodled (I still am). and one of my favorite things was to use the squares on the math papers to form different geometries – mostly with triangles. as I was playing along, I discovered that I could form a star of david (Magen David) and that formation has stuck with me ever since. When I was introduced to the idea of making cutting boards out of wood, I always wanted ...
I believe it was Archimedes who once said “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.” a more succinct way to say it would be, “levers are awesome”. ...but they don’t just move things. Here I have set up a lever of sorts. The fulcrum being the bench dog, and the clamp being Archimedes. Because of mechanical advantage it would take a tremendous amount of force to move the lever from the end near my vise. ...
I got the wood for this project for free from a friend of a friend’s old bookshelves. Some of it is badly warped, there are a few screw holes in it a bunch of places that I’ll have to plug, and it’s discolored from years of use so I am pre-sanding everything with 80 grit. Beggars can’t be choosers! All in all, there were four 6’x10” boards and eight 3’x10” boards. I laid everything out with my drywall square and speed square, making su...
Clean and simple info on some basic hand saws in a workshop. View article
Started cutting out the parts to the 9 additional single beds only and WOW that is a lot of cutting. I figured 522 pieces (58 each). The drawer have the most at 423 (47 each). I didn’t just cut and rip them, some had to be edge banded and then comes the sanded. I got 2 days to work. I will be going to Church camp for a week. I’d like to have the headboards built and the drawer units ready to assemble before I leave. The week I’m gone, hopefully my crew can get the d...
And so we move on to the conclusion of this new useful work surface. When we last left the saw bench, it was dry fitted and ready for gluing. I then added some glue (quite a bit for some of my sloppier joints, and glued the whole thing together. I actually found that the bench was very stable once glued despite my somewhat sloppy joints, so I didn’t need to do any reinforcing beneath. After that, I found that it was a far cry from flat, so I had to spend quite a lot of time getting the ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries