In this blog series, I’d like to invite you to join me on a journey of discovery as we look at the history and restoration of an old English back saw. This is where the story starts… I really wanted one of these (Adria Large Tenon Saw 14”x 4”) …but didn’t have enough of this: So over a number of weeks, I trawled through eBay.co.uk, until I finally found and bought this… The saw plate is 14” long and the saw is 18 ½” overall. It has an iron back and is...
Disclaimer: This blog follows my Magen David Board that is already finished and posted here In Highschool I always doodled (I still am). and one of my favorite things was to use the squares on the math papers to form different geometries – mostly with triangles. as I was playing along, I discovered that I could form a star of david (Magen David) and that formation has stuck with me ever since. When I was introduced to the idea of making cutting boards out of wood, I always wanted ...
I believe it was Archimedes who once said “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.” a more succinct way to say it would be, “levers are awesome”. ...but they don’t just move things. Here I have set up a lever of sorts. The fulcrum being the bench dog, and the clamp being Archimedes. Because of mechanical advantage it would take a tremendous amount of force to move the lever from the end near my vise. ...
Today I began a little reverse engineering project for a friend. He saved a sofa from the junk heap, but it was missing one cushion support frame. I told him it shouldn’t be too hard to make a matching one. So here’s what the original one looks like: The width of those outer boards is pretty close to 2”, so I figured it would just take a couple rips of a 2×4 to get these parts. I ran a line down the 2×4 with my marking gauge (although it’s never satisf...
Got back out to the shop and made the little guide blocks as seen in the Vintage Saws site tutorial. The use of the blocks really did help to maintain the rake angle and give you something to hold on to when filing. I continued to file all the teeth from one side until they all had a uniform shape. After the teeth were shaped, I set them using a standard set with a range of 4-12 TPI settings. I used a set similar to this one: I jointed lightly once again and filed t...
When my chainsaw broke the other day, halfway through a log, I reached for a secret weapon I’ve not really brought out into the light in the exactly 6 months (as of today) since it arrived: my 36”, German, hand-hammered, regular-tooth, one-man crosscut saw from Traditional Woodworking. Here are pics from early October that I’ve had squirreled away. The saw was so much bigger than I’d even imagined, and I had imagined it even bigger than I would ever have imagined it to...
Not only do I love maple and walnut, but I think they love each other too. They look so damn good together… they work well together, and they compliment each other beautifully. What more could a couple ask for? Well tonight I managed a wee bit of shop time. Between my 4 hours of sleep last night, being up at 4:15 am, and dealing with a two year old and a four year old that don’t play nearly as nice together as maple and walnut do, it wasn’t much shop time. But it was enou...
And so we move on to the conclusion of this new useful work surface. When we last left the saw bench, it was dry fitted and ready for gluing. I then added some glue (quite a bit for some of my sloppier joints, and glued the whole thing together. I actually found that the bench was very stable once glued despite my somewhat sloppy joints, so I didn’t need to do any reinforcing beneath. After that, I found that it was a far cry from flat, so I had to spend quite a lot of time getting the ...
Well, as I said in last night’s blog, today I started 3 projects that I need to finish in time to send off before Christmas. So I guess my insomnia paid off though because I was able to draw up my plans, measure and mark all my wood last night which made cutting today go allot quicker. So, today between baking pies and pumpkin bread, I managed to cut all my pieces to length, rip them to width, and miter the ends. Not bad for a days work. Heres some pics/teasers… 1st pic...
I got the wood for this project for free from a friend of a friend’s old bookshelves. Some of it is badly warped, there are a few screw holes in it a bunch of places that I’ll have to plug, and it’s discolored from years of use so I am pre-sanding everything with 80 grit. Beggars can’t be choosers! All in all, there were four 6’x10” boards and eight 3’x10” boards. I laid everything out with my drywall square and speed square, making su...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1780 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1805 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 233 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Dave Rutan - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 203 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries