Well, a good weekend for making progress on the bandsaw refurbish has come and gone. It figures that my parts order has not arrived yet (I did get the blade guide bearings however). Anyway, plenty that can be done!. Painting: Saturday morning was perfect to set up outside for spraying, Temps were down, air was still.Nice thing about living in the sticks, I can paint outdoors without complaints. This should complete a repaint of all visible parts with the exception of a couple of smal...
If you follow my flea market series you will recognize the antique frame saw I picked up for around $7.50 As part of my 500 subscriber giveaway, the top prize was the saw featured in this video. Now you can see the steps I took to restore the saw to its former glory.Enjoy! View on YouTube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thomaslightleFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/redbarnwoodworking/Twitter: https://twitter.com/tnlightleWebsite: http://www.redbarnwoodworking.net “Hometow...
Backstory: Hi all! I’ve landed on this website through many a google search related to projects I’ve worked on and I thought I would give back to the community by posting a journal of my table saw restorations. This is my second restoration. The first was of another craftsman (Model No. 315.228390) which went very well, I unfortunately didn’t take pictures along the way. After using that saw for a week or 2, the arbor bearings decided to fail and it now makes a terrible soun...
I should preface this blog with a note about myself. I recently shed most of my power tools in favor of old hand tools, like Stanley Planes, Disston saws, and old Braces/Bits and eggbeater drills. This was around December of 2014 (about 9 months ago as of this writing). The two power tools I decided to keep in the shop were a band saw and a drill press. Problem was, I didn’t own a band saw (at least not a decent one). So the search began. I hemmed and hawed about it, researched, a...
Well it’s been a week and the paint, as they say where I come from, is well ‘ard. Hard enough to complete the job. First thing is that whilst the sliding carriage will fit into the main casting the jaws won’t fully close up Traced this problem to burrs on the sliding carriage, both sides, here shown cleaned up (with a file) It now slides all the way home Next to install the threaded end stop Whilst the thread for the stop, in the base of the c...
There have been a few days off whilst I’ve been ill with diarrhoea (British spelling). Well the world has stopped falling out of my bottom so some progress has been made. This is the worst of the last images I left you with. However after a second coat of stripper on the stubborn parts and with some help from a hand wire brush and a wire wheel in my hand drill the results are none too shabby. Just in case you are wondering I am really not worried about the name plate and t...
Well the large parts came out of the vinegar OK. The main casting cleaned of rather easily and ( Arlin, you might be interested) the paint was untouched. The paintwork is of course chipped and worn. It need removing and a new finish applied. To this end I used some of this It’s a paint stripper. Nasty stuff. If you use it wear eye protection, gloves etc. If it can soften up the sort of paint used on this vise just imagine what it can do to skin. You dab...
I really have cracked on today. A lot more done, or started, than I thought I would. So to clean all the parts. Following some advice from, Roger Bean, I’m trying pickling the parts in white vinegar. In a bucket Small parts first. This is left to pickle for two hours or so and then scrubbed with a brass wire brush.All the loose crud came off easily. The working surfaces came up like new and the rough cast was fine.I gave the whole lot a rinse in warm water and a dry. ...
First thing to do is strip this little beauty down to its component parts. The bolts out of the jaw that fell off. One mounting hole is clear in the vise body and the other contains the other half of the sheared jaw bolt That will need a little persuading out, later. The rotating base comes next My rotating base seems superior to the one I found a picture of in that it is two piece allowing a full 360 degree rotation of the vise. Next comes the separation o...
Picked up this guy at the local recycling center for $10. Motor is a little slow to start (capacitor?) and if any pressure is applied to the pulley with my hand it stalls. I have (2) 113 craftsman tablesaw motors, 1hp and 1.5 hp that I can put on it but would rather try to repair the existing motor…price willing. It doesn’t have a fence but I’m thinking of building a small sled for it. The tilt and height cranks are very smooth and I’m sure after a good cleaning and a ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries