Progress is continuing on the restoration, I’m grabbing an hour here or there to work on it. The bottom axle was pretty easy to remove after all – a block of wood and a rubber mallet got it out ok. The only stubborn part was the woodruff key on the end of the axle that (of course) had to be removed for the axle to come out. I had to mangle it a little to get it out, but I think it will be ok. If not, I’ll just order a new one from McMaster-Carr. That one damn bearin...
Well it’s official I am hooked… restoring old tools is my new obsession. This time I found some old chisels, Clearcut brand, ever heard of it? Me either. I also couldn’t find much information on the brand online, I did find one post that mentioned they are from Montgomery Ward but I can’t be sure of that. No matter the steel feels good. Guess we will see if it holds an edge. I also shot a video of the restoration which can be viewed here.View on YouTube As you can ...
I thought you might like to see the bar made by my great Grandad. He made the bar for my grandfather in the 1800’s. My grandfather owned a tavern/bar and it was used there for decades. His son, my uncle, took over the bar and inherited the bar with it. It stayed there until the close of the tavern around 1960. My father then took the bar and used it as a back counter in his business. I remember it well. It was painted grey with red trim and and had pressed hardboard on the top. I rememb...
My pastor had this miter box in his garage. His father owned it originally. Since he has never used it, he offered it to me. Having had one of these on my mind for some time I immediately accepted sight unseen. (Well, truthfully, I knew where it was and sort of what condition the saw was in, but I did not know any of the particulars.) Today I was at the parsonage putting handles on the kitchen cabinets and I was able to take the saw home with me. All these pictures show th...
Took the whole saw apart and started cleaning up the guts this evening, I was worried from first appearance that the trunnions where totally covered in rust. I picked up a wire wheel for my drill and went to town on it and discovered that not only was it not rust but the cast iron is in PERFECT condition, the original coating does not have a scratch on it. Or the cast iron is naturally shiny… Here is the result: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90883337@N02/9648895951/ http://ww...
Yet another Handplane Restoration blog #2: FINALLY! a use for a buck bros plane... electrolysis on #6
and I thought my POS Buck Brothers plane was worthless… NOPE! it’s an awesome anode! evaporust was not as wonderful as i’d hoped (probably not enough prep by me); trying electrolysis. i think i read that this should be done at 6 amps, my choices are 2 (trickle) and 10 (fast) so i’m going with 2. might take longer, but what the heck…
I can get the wood to repair the tote on this num 12 Disston if I cut up an old woody plane. In my first post on this saw repair I mentioned having no source for apple wood and that I might need to use Beech instead.It was pointed out to me by Chrisstef that old wood planes are often made of Beech and the wood could be used on my saw. I just happen to have a box of old planes. I bought six old planes on Ebay for about $20 and I was able to cobble together two really nice planes out of the ...
Just need the new bearings and the knives sharpened, hopefully chips flying by the end of next week! Oh, and I need to make a back door yet. It grew wheels. Got the set of pullers from Harbor Freight yesterday, 4 different sizes, $25, works great. Got the casters from HF too, had to drill out the prexisting 3/8” holes to 1/2” to accomadate the casters. Two locking in the front and two freely moving on the back. Pullers and head with bearings Somethings missing...
There was something fishy when I negotiated the price for Delta Contractor Saw, a 34-410B, on Craiglist. The splitter was missing. But, at $250, it was an affordable step up and a project saw that was in really good starting condition. Encouraged by a video demonstation of kickback, I tackled the safety issue today. I cut a piece 1” x 1/8” steel to rough length. After several hours of angle grinding, filing, and polishing with my spindle sander, I was able to match the thi...
My very first woodworking hand tool was this Stanley – Bailey No. 4. I bought it from Craigslist for $10.00. It’s about 50 years old, I bought it from the 45 year old son of the man who had passed on and left it to him. He was not a woodworker. I subsequently bought all 6 of his Henry Disston saws for $30.00 which I will showcase in a future blog entry. The first picture shows the condition of the plane when I bought it. The subsequent pics show the restored plane from a ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 215 entries
- stefang - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 209 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries