about 5 weeks ago i bought an old bandsaw for $100 and have just finished restoring it. originally it had a 1/3 horse motor but it appears that some time in the 60s someone replaced it with a 1 horse motor. here it is after i brought it home and cleaned the table i used a wire brush then proceeded to treat it with linseed oil and then johnson wax just to make sure it wont rust again for a while i also set to work taking it all apart and checking everything as well as oiling the uppe...
I’ve got a years worth of derusting to do, so I decided to just make a blog series of it. Welcome to part 1 of my insanity… As I mentioned in a prevous post, the next piece up for restoration from my pile of misfit tools was this vintage Stanley #4. Yea, it’s a sad sight to behold. Twenty years ago planes in this condition would be parted out for replacement in better planes. But this is a type 17 model made between 1942-1945. That’s right, it’s a veteran o...
Jute webbing is criss-crossed over the bottom of the frame and tacked in place. Springs are attached (tied) to the webbing. I saved the jute webbing with springs intact and just replaced them in the new frame. I did pull the jute tighter than it was when it was removed. Use had stretched it a bit. The springs are tied together and to the frame to “fix” each spring to a spot and to give the seat it’s general shape. I did remove the original ties because I had ...
Almost finished a restoration of a older drill press. Here are the before: Midway: And After: The Name on the drill press is Canadian Blower and Forge but embossed on the side is Buffalo which is Buffalo Forge company. This drill was a buffalo that was re-branded. Restoration started with a couple of tests and a cleaning. At the start the runout was 0.005 Cleaned everything with green scotch brite and crc. Polished up some handles and some br...
ScribingI took Todd’s advice and scribed some hardboard strips. The first two strips did not fit well, but then I switched from the jigsaw to the bandsaw for cut out. It wentso well that I decided to just go ahead and scribe the real trim, since it was lighter and easier to see the pencil lines. Here I have the trim board tacked up level. Here I am setting the compass to the distance that the board needs to lose material. I was shooting for 1/8” below the top of the cabin...
It’s not as if I don’t have planes, but confronted by these two (A Stanley #4 and a Record #5) yesterday at a local car boot sale (flea market?), what could I do but buy them? Especially when the vendor dropped the price before I’d even had chance to haggle. Five pounds for the two seemed more than reasonable. Seven dollars 75 cents is a rough conversion. The #5, especially, is somewhat knocked about, but think of the hours of pleasure I’ll get in resurrecting t...
While visiting family in Tennessee this week (hence the “pappaw”), I managed to rummage through my late grandfather’s very scary tool shed, which has been pretty much been locked up since he died around 13 years ago. I found some ancient woodworking stuff, which is in pretty terrible condition. This includes a #26 jack plane (with a wooden sole) with some unique properties. I can’t quite date it because the info on the toe doesn’t appear to match anything I ca...
I had a nice piece of MDF, 1-1/4hick 20”wide x 54” long, just waiting for a project like this.Thing is ! I can’t remember where I got this nice piece of, inch and a quarter MDF, well ! No matterI got all the pieces cut out, laid the table on the machine base,or I should say table bars, anyway checked the table for flatness, is out 1/64 along the length, so I plan to put in some 2 inch long, socket head set screws in the middle of the table, tee nuts on the bottom, I will be...
This eagle is part of St. John’s statue from 17th century altar from Moravian village Dolní Dunajovice (Czech republic). Eagle’s wings was lost and replaced with paper ones. When we removed the paper, some notes and music sheets was discovered in it. Schoolmate Petr did some research with professors from local university department of music history and they think it could be from year 1630. I made a right wing, left was made by next schoolmate. More photos later. :) Photo of al...
It was a humid mid morning…...I mean so humid that most of the outside auction tables were packing things up to head back home from all the uncomforable temperatures and lack of sales. As soon as we exited the truck my Father and I felt as if we were going into a suana, the small breezes were even warm….not the best weather for an energy filled pick…lol A few tables up on the left there were two very beat down and rusty braces on a table of assorted junk, I picked them up...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1198 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1220 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries