Recently I helped my friend, Laurie, set up a lathe and workbench in her shed/ workshop. For my pains (which weren’t that great, I thoroughly enjoyed it) she gave me this bench vise It’s going to need some restoring. Rest assured though I won’t just be admiring it when it’s restored. This vise will get some use. Although it’s a metalwork vise I do use metals in my projects. Such as the hinge pins for Snakes and Ladders. The jaws need some ser...
Here is the next installment in my restoration. This time through, I will go through cleaning up the parts and rust removal. I will talk about what chemicals I used and you will see how it all worked out. Part 3 will follow sometime soon. https://youtu.be/ZTz3dtE2ikQ
I recently came up with a project idea that will benefit from the use of a hand plane. Unfortunately, I don’t have one! After hours of research on old threads here, and soliciting some great feedback on a thread of my own, I had all but decided to buy a Veritas #3 low angle smoother. Then, my wife’s job situation became quite unstable. While we are working that out, I thought I could spend a small amount of money and give a restoration a try. I have the time (projects on ho...
The now famous H.O. Studley Tool Chest and Workbench were on display at the Handworks 2015 event in Amana, Iowa. This was a rare opportunity to see these historical masterpieces in person. The exhibition was curated by Don Williams and was very well done! The whole experience went beyond my expectations. The tool chest is only 20”x40” and it holds over 270 different tools! It is adorned with ebony and ivory accents throughout. In addition to that many of the tools we...
A few months ago, I started volunteering at our town’s historical society. Shortly before that, a large tool chest filled with wooden planes was “rediscovered” in a storage room. The planes, some 60 in all, were mostly manufactured between 1830 and 1850. Another volunteer and I prepared the planes for display in the historical society’s museum. The chest itself was in pretty bad shape and had become a home and food source for rodents. But, the wonderful construc...
I’m starting to restore an older logging saw. The handles were extremely dried out and the blade is of course rusty. I took both handles off and gave them a good inspection for cracks or anything else that would make them break. With nothing found wrong I moved on to the next step and that was a basic and quick cleaning. I used 320 grit sand paper to clean any rough edges off and get a smooth finish. Using boiled linseed oil I coated the handles heavily and let the oil soak it. what a d...
We were contacted by a client to restore his Boulle cartel clock. Boulle is no fun to restore, it is time consuming and quite a special. For budget reasons we are restoring his piece by stages. The clock is composed of 3 parts and each of them will be restored in 3 sessions. We will start with the top We remove the bronzes The unglued brass pieces are lifted and rubbing is made for the missing brass elements The cavities are full of oxidized glue that nee...
This chest is my father’s and he asked if I would restore it for him and fix most of the damage. I first started by researching the chest. I knew by stripping the chest I would most likely loose the images either with a chemical stripper to replace/repair the finish or by sanding. I wanted to see if the manufacturer still existed and could be contacted for information or help during this process. Turns out Cass Toy Company is no longer in business and was destroyed in a fire i...
I have about 10 saws that I’ve collected over about 5 months. As well as a few planes, and other tools. I was getting tired of sanding the rust off, and wanted to find a way to do a few things at once. I had a 12v battery charger in my garage, a few tubs to put water in, and some spare steel for the sacrificial anode. Where I am, the local stores don’t seem to carry “Washing Soda” so I had to find an alternative to Sodium Bicarbonate. I found a product that wa...
Aloha! I’d like to share with the world my restoration of a Stanley No. 4 smoothing plane. I picked up this plane last spring off C-list. Here's a post from when I got it if you are interested in seeing more “before” photos. It seems to be a type 13 example, which dates the plane between 1925-1928. Rust was pretty much only surficial, and the original jappaning was about 95% intact. Here’s what she looked like as found: Cleaning up the plane was pretty str...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries