Allan Fyfe of Lethenty Mill Furniture demonstrates how to use a smoothing plane that he has just restored. Another movie will follow on the restoration process. The restored plane came from a box of old tools that were in bad condition and it turned out to be a product of the Scioto Works of New York. He knows very little about this company, apart from already having two other smoothing planes and would be delighted to hear from anyone who has more information.
The local museum I volunteer at has just acquired a microscope, late 19th or early 20th century. Unfortunately the box for it is in a bad state of repair Hence the elastic bands holding it together and the damaged veneer on the top. Well the curator has asked me to repair the joints, clean it up but don’t repair the top. This is because the authenticity of the object would be lost. Heres the inside Plenty of cleaning and a little repair to do here. I’ll probably be t...
Progress is continuing on the restoration, I’m grabbing an hour here or there to work on it. The bottom axle was pretty easy to remove after all – a block of wood and a rubber mallet got it out ok. The only stubborn part was the woodruff key on the end of the axle that (of course) had to be removed for the axle to come out. I had to mangle it a little to get it out, but I think it will be ok. If not, I’ll just order a new one from McMaster-Carr. That one damn bearin...
Now that the temperatures are slowly but surely starting to climb again, I’m finally able to work in my garage again for more than 5 minutes. In addition to my table project, I’ve started working on restoring the Power King 912 in December. I’ve been slowly but surely striping off pieces, but had run into a road block with the wheels… the bearings were stuck solid. Someone on LJ (Grizzman?) suggested I look into getting a gear puller, so Harbor Freight to the resc...
A few days ago I tried to dismantle my Goldie’s quill assembly with zero success. I seriously wanted to dismantle this to clean it up properly – I’m sure a bath in degreaser would not be good for the bearing. First I removed the whole quill from the headstock.Next I removed the set screw from the spindle knob, but I couldn’t take the knob off the spindle. I managed to turn the knob on the spindle with tools, but it was very tight, and wouldn’t pull off. S...
I have been doing some tests of technique for cleaning the various tubes on my Goldie. I will be posting some pics of methods & results as I go along. Here is a drill holder I got years ago when I bought a cutting disk for my drill. I haven’t used this rig for years, but it is now earning its place in my “Good-to-Have” tool collection. It is adjustable in all directions except length. This first “Tubes” post deals with the extension table legs. Thes...
I have spent the last several days down with a nasty bug as did most in our house, so the work slacked off a lot. Anyway – so on to more stripping and starting the cleaning. Here is the inside of the headstock with a bucket of bits..I have found that the speed control sheave assembly needs to be replaced – the wire loop is supposed to be fixed in the end of the shaft with a bearing. Bearing is gone and the wire is near worn through..Headstock completely dismantled and brushed...
At least I believe we have identified it. Shopsmiths have a very active user group forum, and the members there have helped me identify which model I have. It seems that my SS is a “Goldie” MK 5 (not MK V) model 500, manufactured somewhere from 1960 to 1963 by Magna Corporation before they went out of business in 1964. Shopsmith Inc. (founded in 1972) still supports the Magna machines. It seems that the clincher in identifying it was this warning label riveted onto the h...
This morning I unpacked my new toys and can confirm that I have one Shopsmith mk 5, and one Master Shop. They are both in very sad condition, and I will be concentrating my efforts on restoring the Shopsmith and relegating the Master Shop to being the “spares” supply wherever possible.. The load waiting to be unpacked.. As you can see, there is rust everywhere.Even the Aluminium is seriously corroded.At least one of the main castings is broken I can see that this is goin...
So yesterday I was up in a tree I am felling for and with my step-dad (I keep the wood) when he asked if I had done any turning. I said no because I don’t have a lathe, but that I would like one. He looked up at me and asked if I’d like one. Well I know he has a workshop, but it is mostly for metal working and his lathe is a large metal lathe, so I thought he was kidding. Anyway, after we cleaned our mess up at the end of the work day, he took me to his open-sided store area...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries