Ahhhh the No. 7 my toughest and most challenging restoration yet. I won this big hunk of rusted metal off Ebay for 38.00. Thats a rather good deal when you look at what most No. 7 planes sell for on Ebay. This plane was in worse shape then any of other bench planes I had restored. It was covered in rust, had countless dings and scratches all over the sides and bottom and the front knob was an obvious home made replacement. On the bright side most all of the original japanning was rusted ri...
After many weeks of hunting and bidding on Ebay I was finally able to win an auction for a Stanley #6 at a decent price. The #6 planes usually sell somewhere around the 50 dollar range and I got this one for 38 dollars. My goal is to someday have the whole set of Stanley bench planes #1 through #8. I am only 3 shy of my goal excluding the 4 1/2, 5 1/4 and 5 1/2. I still need 1, 2 and 8. I don’t see 1 or 2 ending up in my collection anytime soon but the hunt is on for the #8! Stay tuned!...
Got a call, late this morning, from Ye Olde Motor Shoppe. The RAS motor is ready. .......................[clears throat] WOO-HOO !!!!....................... Installed it. Spliced the new mil-spec (not really, but it’s a beefy boy !) toggle switch into the two power cords. Locked and loaded the blade and stiffener. Put on its overcoat (the blade shroud), and … despite ALL my efforts and hard work …. It runs ! Yes, I DID do a test cut, after making th...
I figured I would give you guys some updates. Things are coming together pretty well. After disassembly and cleaning I tackled the repairs to the wheel covers with some fiber mesh reinforced with a wire grid and JB weld. The wheels had some missing sections where either the PO cut parts out or the blade had taken a slice out of them. For example: here is the mesh I used here it is on the wheel cover and the repair after a few coats of JB weld and sanding. The wire grid all...
As part of my $175 bench project I did a big glue-up of Douglas Fir boards. Over twenty boards went into the top and due to an oversight on my behalf I ended up bowing the top. In order to level it all out, I needed to take off a fair amount of material. I started to do just that with my number 5 jack plane but I quickly realized how daunting the task was. I knew I needed a better tool to tackle this beast of a problem.I started looking around for a number 40 scrub plane. After going thr...
Well, with all the fumes, the saw colors make it look like it’s on fire. Today, I got to spray some primer and some paint. I painted our living room red last summer before we moved in. I forgot how poorly red paint coats, and just how many coats it takes to get something truly red. Persistence, and two cans of Rustoleum paid off. Here’s the result… Make sure you look at the rest of the album. I did get around to painting the motor and the other parts orange. I ...
I picked up the bearings today. They’re made in Japan. I can deal with that. For about $23.00 my mind will rest easier while I’m running the saw, not being paranoid of a 50+ year bearing going kaput and sending blades my direction. Also, I finished breaking the saw down into multiple parts and took a few better pictures. Have a look at the album to see them. I left all of the smaller rusty parts soaking in some old Evaporust overnight. Let me drop a little information...
Well, here is the other big tool purchase I made recently (spray can for scale). closer shot: This saw was posted on ebay, but there appeared to be some inaccurate information on it (model number never existed, blade size was incorrect, serial number was never produced, etc). I wasn’t able to get answers to my questions before bidding closed, so I passed on it. Apparently everyone else did too. I suspect it was a combination of a confusing description, making a big purchase w...
It’s not as if I don’t have planes, but confronted by these two (A Stanley #4 and a Record #5) yesterday at a local car boot sale (flea market?), what could I do but buy them? Especially when the vendor dropped the price before I’d even had chance to haggle. Five pounds for the two seemed more than reasonable. Seven dollars 75 cents is a rough conversion. The #5, especially, is somewhat knocked about, but think of the hours of pleasure I’ll get in resurrecting t...
This series has been quiet for a while, as I’ve been buying replacement parts off eBay and dealing with several small(ish) technical issues. The members of the ShopSmith owners’ forum have been extremely helpful. My thanks to the LJ members who pointed me to that forum. Here is my experience with removing rust by Electrolysis and I’m sure that many LJ’s can benefit using this technique for tool restoration. If you have any questions, just ask and I’ll do my...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries