We’re in the home stretch now! This part is usually one of the most time consuming depending on the plane. We need our plane to have a flat sole. How flat? Well, it’s really up to you. LumberJock unbob mills his first then hand-scrapes them flat. Mine won’t be that flat! I’m just gonna be doing what he calls “roll over the edges sanding that is called lapping in the woodworking world”. BTW, I’m not picking on unbob, he’s exactly right. But IMHO, “...
Well we’ve finished most of our grunt work. All that’s left to do is finish up the base and get this guy ready to make some shavings! The next thing to do is to flatten the sole of the plane and to polish up the sides (maybe flatten them as well depending on what the planes going to be used for). We’ll handle that in a later entry but before we do that, we’re going to put this plane back together. Why do I reassemble it before working on the rest of the body? ...
Bought a scrub plane for $7 missing a lever cap. Couldn’t justify buying brass or bronze. So made a lever cap out of some scrap birds eye. And it works! The lever cap bolt is a 5/16-18 hardware store bolt with a copper plumbing cap cut down and epoxied over the end. The birds eye lever cap was shaped using only hand tools! A 1/4 inch hole was drilled through the lever cap with the drill press. Then A 5/16-18 tap was chucked into a cordless drill, waxed up and run...
Well, we’re done with the cosmetic stuff. Time to get down to the real nitty-gritty. Woo Hoo! If you have an old plane that’s in decent enough shape that you don’t care to polish it up and there isn’t any significant rust, you can skip all of the previous work and start here. From here on is what really gets our plane in good working shape and takes a mediocre plane and makes it work better than new. We’re going to focus on the frog mainly in this entry but you have to tune the fit w...
At the end of the last entry, we had our plane body stripped of the old japanning and ready to be painted. I picked up some paint and got our plane done yesterday. I got my paint at Advance Auto Parts. It’s Dupli-Color Engine Enamel in gloss black: Like I said in the previous blog, I’m not sure whether the gloss or semi-gloss is a better match but I prefer the look of the gloss. If you’d rather try the semi-gloss, it’s #DE 1635. I also pointed out that no...
When last we left off, we had done rust conversion on all of our parts except for the main body. So let’s pick up there and take care of body and sole. Just to remind us of what our patient looked like when we got it: I said in the last entry that I would be using a couple different methods of rust removal in this process. The first was the phosphoric acid bath we used on everything but the body. Well, we’re not using that (well not JUST that) on the body. Now, if ...
This is my first post or utterance on this site, so bear with me while I get in the swing of things… I’ve always wanted to get into woodworking so I can build useful and practical things with my own hands. Within the last few months I’ve come into a host of woodworking tools and machinery, most of which were simply given to me once I expressed interest. These items include: a Delta spindle sander, old craftsman dual disc/belt sander, a vintage Buffalo Tool drill press, a ...
So, when we left off last time we had determined that this plane was perfectly salvageable and made a list of what all we need to do to it. We determined that all of its parts were present and that we shouldn’t have to make/buy any replacement parts with the possible exception of the iron and chipbreaker. Here is our subject: The biggest issue with this guy is the rust. That’s what I normally tackle first and what I’ll be addressing in this entry. The methods I ...
This plane was purchased at auction recently: I do my usual triage, assign it a number for my spreadsheet, from whence it gets put away for my after-retirement hobby. But I found this one intriguing enough to tackle right away. First, the tote. The shark-fin was snapped off, and so I pieced in some replacement stock, and faired it in to the original contours. Strip off all the cast iron parts, sandblast them, and use a 3-M deburring wheel to a smooth finish: ...
I’ve been thinking I am going to do this blog but haven’t had just the “right” plane to document the process… until now. I know there are an abundance of these tutorials all over the internet so I don’t pretend to be breaking any new ground here. I just know we all find our own little tricks and tips so I thought I’d show y’all how I do it and hopefully, there’s a useful tidbit in here for someone. Here are some good articles from wkf...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries