I recently completed this easy project and thought I would share the steps I took to make it. I’ve had a handful of railroad spikes for a while, and finally decided I should use them to make a coat rack. I started by removing the rust from the spikes. I soaked them in plain white vinegar overnight. After pulling them out and giving a light scrub with a wire brush, they looked like this. There were still bits of rust on them, so after another nights soak, I scrubbed again and r...
One of my staples for sale at craft shows is slotted coin displays.They are fairly simple to make and I try to make them in batches so I have inventory without setting up too often to make them.All of them so far have been made from dunnage used to ship steel radio transmission towers from India to the US. Where we would use pine 2×4’s to brace freight this particular company used an assortment of mid/far east woods. From what I can see and surmise it is the off-cuts from the India...
In the first post in this series I showed the small bowl that came off the lathe at 1300 RPM.The blank wasn’t too damaged, so I reglued it and finished it.Finished project. The regluing went so well that I didn’t have to return the face of the bowl, I just sanded it to get the glue off, then a coat of 2# shellac buffed off while wet with an old T-shirt.1. back on the lathe with safety cage in place. 2. shellac on the front. 3. getting ready to round the corners off…...
I did a couple of Ice cream scoop handles this afternoon.The second one took 30 minutes from grabbing the blank to ready to glue on the scoop.Here’s a quick photo log of the action (all times in Military format). 1. 1630, grabbed the blank and put it in the drill press to drill the hole for the scoop. 2. 1637, blank rounded. 3. 1639, tenon turned. 4. 1644, rough shaping done. 5. 1645, start sanding…80, 120, 180, 220, 320 grit. 6. 1648, finish sanding. 7....
I have always been interested in punky wood, the discoloration and lines caused by the decomposition of the wood makes it much more interesting to me. And since I do a lot of work with repurposed wood, including firewood, it is part of what I get for raw materials anyway. So when we converted our wood-burning fireplace to a gas insert (that’s another story entirely) I figured I had a whole pile of future punky wood. That was two years ago. Unfortunately, it looks like that is a ye...
I had an old oregon pine painted door that was in pieces – unfortunately we did not take a photo of it, but we have another door that is the same design and I will take a picture of that. Hubby first decided to repair the door but as I had no use for a door we decided to leave the old paint on, cut it into two and turn them into mirrors. After hubby did the woodworking part of the project, I sanded down all the loose paint. Painted a soft blue over and then finished it with a gal...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1660 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1685 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries