Video entry is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3G8GxAHNmY The first step on this long project is to remove the back of the guitar. The reason we are doing this is two fold, there is a tremendous amount of work that needs to be done to both the back, sides, and top of the guitar. If we were to try to do the level of work that is required through the soundhole we would be far too tedious and would end up with a poorer result. Removing the back allows me extremely easy access to all ...
Video is here: https://youtu.be/QnD6qkNlodc My day job is as a stringed instrument repair “tech” (I don’t really like that word, I just refer to it as fine woodworking) and I like to continue my work at home. This guitar is something that my wife bought for me as a christmas gift last year for a little bit. I was thrilled since it had had no previous “pro” repair jobs done to it which means that my job is still going to be challenging but it will be MUCH ea...
won’t make this a regular thing, but I wanted to post this first one. This is a 3/4 size violin with a beak in the tuning peg box. The break was clean and simple to fix with glue. Epoxy was used because the break line went Right through a tuning peg hole. One clamp held everything perfectly in place while the glue cured. Just reiterating that these are student rental instruments. The idea is o keep them playable. In this case the repair is nearly invisible, but this will not al...
There’s a good chance that I’ll be doing a lot more lutherie in the future. Through a connection my wife has as a music teacher, I’ll be apprenticed to a music store as a repairer of wooden instruments. I wouldn’t call this an absolutely done deal, but very likely at the least. I love the idea of having a unique job and this one could be fun as well. I gotta start binge watching all the guitar repair videos on Youtube. I haven’t met the owner yet, but he̵...
Some time this century the wife asked me to repair the broken handle on her grandmother’s hand-me-down rolling pin. In an effort to get caught up on the ‘Honey-Do’ list (and win some brownie points), I made this one of today’s projects. Here is the rolling pin with the broken shaft on the left. The end button has been sawed off, to be attached to the new shaft. The new shaft is at the bottom right. This was a standard 5/8” hardwood dowel that had to...
I kinda want to blame this on my wife. But we all know that she has not been out in my shop pounding on things with hammers. I am not sure when I broke it, but I have a good idea how, because I am always out in my shop pounding on things with hammers. I am kind of bummed to see that I broke my vice. It is a good 3-1/2 inch dunlop vice. More importantly, it sits on the bench at the end of my shop in line with my table saw blade and the top of the jaws rest 3/16 inch below the top ...
I inherited a Tpc 2610 a few years ago. When I got it it had been sitting in a carport type shed under a tarp for ten plus years. The table was half inch plywood and more of it had rotted away than was left. I have come to realize that the table on it was not the original table. More on that later. There was enough left though to get measurements from it and after I proved the saw ran and the arm would raise and lower (though stiffly) I reproduced the table with 3/4” mdf, cleaned up eve...
I can’t express how thankful I am for all the help in getting my sander’s conveyor running again. Living in the middle of nowhere, I was unable to find a vendor for the bridge rectifier within an hour of here so I ordered one (actually two) from China for $.99 plus $1.98 shipping. We received them yesterday. My husband soldered one on the circuit board this morning; we reinstalled the speed control; and it runs like new. We’re both do-it-yourselfers who will try anyt...
Drum Sander speed control repair #1: I need help to identify a component on speed control circuit board
My drum sander's conveyor recently quit. We were able (with help) to narrow down the problem to a component on the speed control. My husband said he is willing to attempt to solder on a new component (a new circuit board is over $240) but after considerable web searching, I have been unable to find one. It might help if I knew what it was called so I could more easily narrow the search. Here’s a photo. Can anyone tell me what the square, gray component on the lower left of the ci...
Most important: Thank you to the helpful woodworkers who were kind enough to guide me on this endeavor. You are the ones who gave me the courage to attempt this. I received the order of the bearings last Monday afternoon and proceeded to get them installed without any major problems. I made several jigs to hold things in place while I pressed and pounded the bearings onto the shaft. Here are the bearing pads I first used. I made them to fit on either side and hold the shaft at the ex...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1823 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 81 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1848 entries
- dbhost - 450 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 273 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 227 entries
- bandit571 - 224 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries