Which came first, the mortise or the tenon?Well for me today it was the tenon. Where we left off my dog and cat were at it again Well our undefeated chunky weight champion is still on top, and I can’t get her to find another place to hang out. I had the legs done and I worked on the stretcher for the sides. The bottom ones were easy, they were just 4” wide and straight. The tops were a bit more complex and needed to have a step to keep the two thicknesses even, bu...
Thankfully todays glue up did not inspire a case of shop induced turrets.Like Qbert says, ”@!#?” It is not often I use more than half of my clamps. Years back I would use them all up in a day and be left needing more. Today I used up a bit more than half and I was hoping to get to more, but time ran out. I have the bench legs and top slabs glued up. The split is milled and has a bit more before it will get glued up too. To start the day out I made a set of cauls from a 2...
Hidie Ho there neighbors. Today I was able to get the rest of the wood for the top milled up and it is taking shape; all be it an unusual one with multiple levels. I just can’t do anything the easy way can I ? About half way through the day I wondered about what I would use for the front. I wanted something showy obviously. I remembered I had a piece of Birdseye hidden away in the attic vault. How’s this for a well traveled piece of wood; when I lived in West Virginia I too...
The cabinet doors are completed and have finish on them. I am very happy with how it turned out. I am still working on laying out where I will hang things in the doors and I think I might make some plates with my CNC that have some neat texture to them. They will probably be done as I can get to them. I have started carving the till frame and I should have about another day to finish it. I have started to look at the plans of the bench that came with the set and reading bac...
Today I piddly farted around and put the catches into the door frames. They are friction catches and needed to be mortised in. All turned out well there. They hold the doors shut really well and look nice. I had to take a break from the carving as it was killing my shoulders, not used to that hard work :) So I decided to get French..No! Not like that you sicko!French cleats. I milled up some slats to inset into the door frames with a lip similar to the back of the cabinet...
Well today I got the doors hung. I still have one door to finish carving and put finish on, but I wanted to see how it was going to look. The soss hinges worked out nice and I am able to open the doors nearly 180 degrees. I ended up with a great fit, they close with almost no gap. I set the first door up and using that in I set the second in place. I have yet to install the tension catches that will hold the doors shut, but so far so good. When I was carving the door fram...
I felt like embellishing the doors a bit so today I milled up some leopard wood and made some fall leaves to inlay into the doors. I used a router bit used for a CNC that was 1/16” thick at the end to get into the tight spots and a 3/16” bit for the rest. I cut out the design and taped them in place to see if I liked it. I then traced out the leaves and routed out a recess for them and glued them in place. I then made a stem and did the process again. I finished them off with a fe...
Old man winter done kicked me in the caboose, but I managed to drag my butt to the shop and schlep some wood around. I spent Sunday hanging lights I bought an a school remodel sale and now have the sun set high in my rafters. I ended up hanging four of these bad boys and they really brighten the place up. While I was up there hanging these 40lb beasts I thought of that song bats in the belfry, in the shop, boiling society :) I found all kinds of goodies up in my long term wood stor...
In the summer 1978 issue of FWW, Tage Frid wrote about tool cabinets.“Why bother making a tool cabinet when a crate with shelves nailed in would hold the tools? I believe if a person wants to make a living as a woodworker and furniture designer, a well-designed and executed tool cabinet is very important. It’s a pleasure to have a beautiful tool cabinet, where the tools are properly arranged and easy to find. And when a potential customer comes into the shop and sees a nice cabinet, half the ...
So like I said yesterday, I goofed up and made my panel openings larger than my panel. I looked back through the stock I had left over and it was too thin to use so I needed to rely on off-cuts to patch my mistakes. Blue tape to the rescue. I cut out the over-sized shapes that would go into the door panel and used scraps to fill in the empty spots. I traced the outline of the openings onto the curly maple panel and then used calipers to oversize it and sribe a ne...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries