My Granfather’s name was Amos Leveille (pronounced “lev-ee-ay”) – 1909-1973. Upon my mother’s passing several years ago, I inherited what was left of my his tools. They had been left rusting in my mom’s basement for decades. I have been slowly refurbishing them, and putting them to use. It has been very enlightening, from both a tool and a person history perspective. I have given new life to these pieces, and they have returned the favor! Take a look&...
I was making replacement handles for my chisels. I tried the sockets and tang versions with good results. I got some old chisel handles that had leather washers at the other end. I was curious if I could make them too. I did the usual searches and had found great information. Since several LJ members is curious about the how they were cut, I have decided that I’ll post the process here. How the leather washers look really desn’t matter. It is an intermediate step of the chisel handle...
At an estate sale last fall I picked up this EC Atkins rip saw for $2. Thus, it is a good candidate for a refurb but with only $2 at stake I am going to try my hand at saw handle reshaping. The original handle is uninspiring and bulky. Although I may be tainted by the feel of my Bad Axe tenon saw, both of my D-8 handles is far better. The EC Atkins handle is boring and uncomfortable. ————————————R...
WHAT'S UP? "While I'm out in my Shop". #5: Slatwall storage system, homemade, switching from Pegboard.
I started on this shop building project shortly after I retired. I’d like to show you what I’ve accomplished so far. My garage measures 20 X 24 feet, & I wanted to partition out a shop area.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~In order to have a shop 8 feet wide, I had to resize my garage door from 12’ to 9 ‘ Notice the car hiding under a warm blanket of snow. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This...
A couple months ago I found a few of old saws- I havent had the time to commit to a detailed “project” lately, so Ive been piddling with returning these geezers back to work horses. (With much inspiration from you lumberjocks!). While waiting on the drill press frame to get braised, Ive started on this saw (far right in above picture). It needs a good cleaning , and a new handle. The set is actually fairly decent, and some might say sharp (?)......some.Anywho, first coated the ...
I was lucky enough to inherit some of my grandfathers tools recently, and one of the planes I acquired intrigued me. I had never seen a Wards Master plane before, so I thought it was pretty cool to have one. Plus, a plane with a blue frog is just “plane” awesome in my mind. It was in pretty good shape, just really dirty and kinda rusty. I figured this was a good candidate for my first plane restoration. The lever cap didn’t turn out as good as I had hoped…...
Spent a bit of time today doing some tweaking and setting up. I made a new piece to hold the toggle clamp out of 1/2” ply. The thinner material made the stock bolt the perfect length. The new zero clearance insert is in and I put in my trusty 50 tooth Freud thin kerf blade. A couple of hours setting everything up and it works!!! A bit of cleaning and waxing was involved today. I ripped a short section af ash and the cut looks really nice. First project….the cabinet for un...
I cleaned the sawblade by using a scraper for the grime and surface rust. Then using Naval Jelly and a stiff nylon bristle brush removed the rust. After that it was coated with WD-40 and sanded starting with 220 and progressing through 0000 steel wool. The medallions and screws were cleaned with Barkeepers Friend and polished. Im pretty happy on how it turned out.
Rebuilding a vintage Craftsman Table Saw 113.29920 #13: After much delay and empty promises, it draws to an end.
Well, the table saw / router workstation are finished. (At least as finished as I care to make them.) Have a look here..... There is a good bit of blood sweat and tears in that project. Actually no, more like beer, planning and a lot of good days working with my hands…. Notice that Babycake wants to demonstrate how easy the dust collection works by flipping a simple switch….. On the front of the unit, the fixed faceplates for switches (minus the one for the key...
So it’s been long enough, I thought I’d post an update, as insignificant as it may seem. Life with a 2 year old, on top of work, doesn’t allow much time for this hobby. I was able to disassemble the entire machine, and inspect everything closer. This is the main body of the unit, shown cleaned up, repainted, and the badge polished. As I mentioned in my last post, I had purchased replacement bearings for the machine. Since then, I received the bearings, and had t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1485 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1509 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 240 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 203 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries